Slight mistake

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Slight mistake

Postby Tresguey » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Saturday night I started a late brewing session. Ended up finishing at about 2am. Earlier that day I finished converting a fridge for fermenting by installing a temperature control on it. I did a yeast starter for the this batch(Malty Brown). And had to pitch at about 80 degrees, my tap water does not get too cool, I need to figure out a plan to chill my cooling water on my counter flow. I placed my carboy in the fridge put the sending unit for the control in the thermo well and set the temp to 68 degreeā€™s. When I checked on it around 10am to my surprise the temp was 42 degrees. Yes I forgot to hit enter after setting the temp control. I opened the door set the temperature to 68 and hit enter this time. Fermentation finally kicked about 20 hours later, I would think there would not be an issue. Any thoughts?
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it...." - Spicoli

Give me a Pizza and a Friendly Frosty and I'm set!!!
Tresguey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Slight mistake

Postby tookalisten » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:01 pm

No issues, the yeast will kick in when it warms up.
Ask me how I know :oops: I've done the same.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby beerKT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:04 pm

tookalisten wrote:No issues, the yeast will kick in when it warms up.
Ask me how I know :oops: I've done the same.

I've done this my self with no problems. Before I moved my tap water was fairly warm. I usually stuck the carboy in the fridge for an hour or two before pitching.
beerKT
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby lilyalvin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 am

Temperature setting is very crucial for the whole process. I never miss the trick on that.
lilyalvin
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Fermentation