Imperial Organic Liquid Yeast

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Imperial Organic Liquid Yeast

Postby Brewtime » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 am

Has any one of you mugs use this yeast yet? if so what do you think of it.

http://www.morebeer.com/category/imperi ... yeast.html
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Imperial Organic Liquid Yeast

Postby CA_Mouse » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:41 pm

I met and talked with them at NHC this year. Nice group and I love the packaging concept.

I have a friend that is a yeast wrangler for a local yeast company that thinks their marketing is funny. Yeast, Nutrient and Purified Water are generally all that is needed at packaging. As for growing cultures, it is sugar, water, DME and yeast. Unless a lab is using in-organic sugar or DME, then *all* brewer's yeasts that are commercially available are able to say they are "Organic". He thinks it's a great marketing ploy, but that is all it is. I will have to agree that it is a good marketing gimmick, but it doesn't make me want to rush out to buy it.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:42 am

I was looking at it less from the "organic" aspect of it than just the convenience of something that's direct-pitchable. I really like the idea of northern brewers canned starter wort as well. I haven't been making a lot of starters recently, my process being to start with a small beer and re-pitch the yeast from that in successively larger beers, but next time I do something that needs a starter I may instead go with that companys yeast!
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:21 am

pclemon wrote:I was looking at it less from the "organic" aspect of it than just the convenience of something that's direct-pitchable. I really like the idea of northern brewers canned starter wort as well. I haven't been making a lot of starters recently, my process being to start with a small beer and re-pitch the yeast from that in successively larger beers, but next time I do something that needs a starter I may instead go with that companys yeast!

I was looking at it the same way. Yes the non GMO claim is a little outlandish and is clearly a marketing ploy. with that said I wanted to know if anyone has used it and has any first hand results. I think I will buy a few cans and see.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Denny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 am

There's a discussion of this yeast going on on my club's discussion group. Unanimously, the packaging is getting slammed. The yeast sticks to the bottom of the cans and is very difficult to get out. The cans spew when opened. Seems like people like the yeast when they get to it, but it sounds like usability is a PITA.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 am

Denny wrote:The cans spew when opened. Seems like people like the yeast when they get to it, but it sounds like usability is a PITA.

I honestly find this to be the case with most White Labs vials as well. Although with a screw on cap, it's easier to regulate the pressure being released when its opened.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Brewtime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:15 am

Denny wrote:There's a discussion of this yeast going on on my club's discussion group. Unanimously, the packaging is getting slammed. The yeast sticks to the bottom of the cans and is very difficult to get out. The cans spew when opened. Seems like people like the yeast when they get to it, but it sounds like usability is a PITA.

I wondered that myself as they tell you to shake the can for 15 seconds then open. The WL vial are also a PITA but maybe the new packaging will ease the spewing factor.
Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:03 pm

I haven't used this yeast, but in regards to making starters... try pressure canning. I bought a couple packages of 1/2 gallon ball jars and make canned starter once a year in the kitchen. It's easy to do and requires no open boiling. Then you have shelf-stable pre-boiled starter that you can directly pour into a flask with your yeast as needed. I've been doing this for years.
thetooth

Postby Brewtime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:11 pm

thetooth wrote:I haven't used this yeast, but in regards to making starters... try pressure canning. I bought a couple packages of 1/2 gallon ball jars and make canned starter once a year in the kitchen. It's easy to do and requires no open boiling. Then you have shelf-stable pre-boiled starter that you can directly pour into a flask with your yeast as needed. I've been doing this for years.

I too can starter wort but saw this and for $10 it may be a viable option when you want to to have an unplanned brew day, which seem to happen more and more theses days with my schedule. :?
Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Denny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Here's the original post from the discussion I mentioned....

I was wondering if people have used this yeast yet? I did recently and I am not convinced it is any better than the Wyeast smack packs. I brought two strains the Flagship (1056) and Independence (origin unknown). I also bought a 1056 activator pack for comparison. I brewed an IPA at about 1.075 SG with freshly dried homegrown hops. All batches were oxygenated with commercial oxygen.

I first pitched (into 5.5 gallons) the Flagship without shaking the can too much (inverted back and forth several times) which was a bad idea since the majority of yeast clumped on the bottom of the can and was hard to get out. Used a vodka filled spray bottle to rinse the clumped yeast out of the can.

For the second strain, Independence, I decided to shake harder which was also a bad decision since the can was now under pressure and spewed yeast when opening. Also, it made disinfection difficult since it kept spewing until the lid was completely off. I pitched that yeast into 5.5 gallons of wort. I think I lost a little bit of the yeast but not enough that would have an impact on fermentation.

The Wyeast pack, I smacked the day before and it was swollen by the time I brewed. Since this yeast was going into a larger volume, about 8 gallons, I decided to pull some wort off the kettle after runoff was complete. I water bath chilled the wort and then pitched the smack pack into the starter. The starter was visually active after about a hour and I pitched it into the 8 gallons wort after about 3.5 hrs.

The 1056 was starting to ferment after about 5 hours. The Flagship seemed like it was about to start (few bubbles after shaking the carboy) and the Independence was dead.

The next morning the 1056 was still rolling. The Flagship was still acting like it was about to start. The Independence was dead. After work, 1056 the same, Flagship was now noticeably bubbling but not rolling. The Independence was looking like it was about to start.

After the fact, I decided to do some research on the product and found this video on their website, see Can use instructions

Can use instructions
View on www.youtube.com

Preview by Yahoo

The cans I had appeared to have more yeast that what is displayed in their video and also look more liquidy. When they say keep in fridge until pitching, they mean keep in fridge since any warming may result in my experience and I did not even shake as hard as they did.

The Imperial yeast may claim to have twice as much yeast but if that yeast is not active/dormant, does it matter? By the way both cans were dated September 8th and the smack pack was dated Sept. 15th.

I am also not sure about thier packaging, seems like to many opportunities for contamination. I also pre-wiped down the outside surface (to many crevices) with rubbing alcohol before pulling the tab. Pre-sanitation was a good idea especially after creating my mess which had yeast and sanitizer (used starsan to rinse the yeast that was foaming out of the can) dripping everywhere.

I wish they used packaging similar to Wyeast or Gigayeast, another company that claims to have twice as much yeast as Wyeast. Their packaging is larger in size and can accommodate foaming active yeast without making a mess. The one thing both companies lack is the internal yeast packet and starter solution which I as great way to wake the yeast before pitching or making a starter.

Next will be the taste test. What are others experiences with this yeast and what do you think about the packaging. Also, does anybody have a cross reference chart for their strains?

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Brewtime wrote:
thetooth wrote:I haven't used this yeast, but in regards to making starters... try pressure canning. I bought a couple packages of 1/2 gallon ball jars and make canned starter once a year in the kitchen. It's easy to do and requires no open boiling. Then you have shelf-stable pre-boiled starter that you can directly pour into a flask with your yeast as needed. I've been doing this for years.

I too can starter wort but saw this and for $10 it may be a viable option when you want to to have an unplanned brew day, which seem to happen more and more theses days with my schedule. :?

I pressure can in order to handle exactly the situation you describe. I spend one day a year canning wort in batches (usually while watching a baseball or football game since it's so hands-off). When I want to use it, I just grab a half-gallon jar of starter and pour it into a flask with the yeast and voila. If I'm making a lager or other larger batch, I might grab two jars of starter.

The extra hassle of having to boil and chill down the water to dilute the commercially-canned stuff makes it more trouble than just canning the wort myself. It would make a lot more sense to me if they were directly usable without needing to dilute them with water.
thetooth

Postby alewife » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Denny wrote: Also, does anybody have a cross reference chart for their strains?

On the More Beer website, each Imperial yeast strain has a listed equivalent White Lab/Wyeast counterpart as part of the product description, or not, if there was no equivalent. It appeared that there were more Wyeast equivalents than White Lab. And a couple appeared to have no counterparts for White Lab or Wyeast. I'll be especially looking for comments on how those work out for brewing.

Alewife
On Deck: Irish Heavy, Mother Bunch's Holiday Porter, Dobby's Magic (like Mad Elf)

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink:

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Denny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:54 pm

alewife wrote:
Denny wrote: Also, does anybody have a cross reference chart for their strains?

On the More Beer website, each Imperial yeast strain has a listed equivalent White Lab/Wyeast counterpart as part of the product description, or not, if there was no equivalent. It appeared that there were more Wyeast equivalents than White Lab. And a couple appeared to have no counterparts for White Lab or Wyeast. I'll be especially looking for comments on how those work out for brewing.

Alewife

That makes sense since the company was started by former Wyeast guys!

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Fermentation