Conical/Yeast Question

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Conical/Yeast Question

Postby BrewinProf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I was having a discussion with a member of my brew club about when it's best to dump the yeast after fermentation is over. He suggested that it's best to leave the beer on the yeast cake for at least a few weeks in order to continue to condition the beer. I use the Morebeer yeast harvester on my conical and dump the yeast about as fast as it settles out because I've always assumed that the settled yeast is no longer active but that the further conditioning occurs due to the yeast still in suspension. If he is right, then isn't the ability of a conical to dump the yeast actually leading to worse beer? Thoughts?
BrewinProf
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Conical/Yeast Question

Postby Denny » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 am

BrewinProf wrote:Hello everyone,

I was having a discussion with a member of my brew club about when it's best to dump the yeast after fermentation is over. He suggested that it's best to leave the beer on the yeast cake for at least a few weeks in order to continue to condition the beer. I use the Morebeer yeast harvester on my conical and dump the yeast about as fast as it settles out because I've always assumed that the settled yeast is no longer active but that the further conditioning occurs due to the yeast still in suspension. If he is right, then isn't the ability of a conical to dump the yeast actually leading to worse beer? Thoughts?

"If he is right".....what if he's not?
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 am

Denny wrote:
BrewinProf wrote:Hello everyone,

"If he is right".....what if he's not?

Agree with Denny that there's a lot of people that do things "because that's what someone else said".

I would argue that if you're pulling the yeast that's settling out in the early days of fermentation that you're pulling the least active yeast and closer to the end of their lifespan than the yeast that stays in suspension longer term. I may be wrong in stating this but I suspect it's for this very reason that breweries will use the krausen off one batch to inoculate the next one. That yeast is the most healthy/youngest.

I have a conical and my process today is when I want to recycle the yeast I empty the conical into the kegs and then use a sanitized SS spoon to scoop the yeast off the top of the cake into a flask. I tried once or twice to use one of the yeast recovery systems that connects to the bottom dump and was never happy with the results.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:21 pm

this is on a commercial scale so it doesn't always translate.

We cone to cone when fermentation is complete. There is, should be, plenty of yeast still in suspension and still in the cake to finish up what you need. The middle layer of yeast is the best according to everything I have read. The first to drop out were dead, the last are poor flocculators, the middle is the best of everything.

Hope that helps, but you will know if you see diacytel show up if you pulled it too soon.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Return to Fermentation