Evaporation during ferment.

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Evaporation during ferment.

Postby marketfixr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 pm

So I brewed a clone of sierra's ruthless rye ipa clone from byo magazine. All went according to plan, ended up with with about 5.5 gal in each carboy, 2 weeks later dry hopped in same carboy, Kegged it yesterday and had a noticable difference in level. both carboys almost dropped equally 1.5-2". I started with 5.5 gals roughly and ended up with about 4 or so per carboy. The air locks never went dry, no explosive fermentation, gravity readings were normal at the end. 1.012. has anyone ever experienced this. i have a photo of it so you can see where the krausen was when it started and where it was when finished.
"have torch, will travel"

On Tap
Rootbeer, Vanilla bourbon imperial porter, Cream Ale
marketfixr
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Evaporation during ferment.

Postby Brewtime » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:09 am

marketfixr wrote:So I brewed a clone of sierra's ruthless rye ipa clone from byo magazine. All went according to plan, ended up with with about 5.5 gal in each carboy, 2 weeks later dry hopped in same carboy, Kegged it yesterday and had a noticable difference in level. both carboys almost dropped equally 1.5-2". I started with 5.5 gals roughly and ended up with about 4 or so per carboy. The air locks never went dry, no explosive fermentation, gravity readings were normal at the end. 1.012. has anyone ever experienced this. i have a photo of it so you can see where the krausen was when it started and where it was when finished.

did you use pellet or whole hops. Whole hops would soak up some liquid.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Evaporation during ferment.

Postby marketfixr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:42 am

Pellet hops 3oz per carboy
"have torch, will travel"

On Tap
Rootbeer, Vanilla bourbon imperial porter, Cream Ale
marketfixr
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Fermentation