first 3 batches with temperature control stuck??

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

first 3 batches with temperature control stuck??

Postby scav7 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:13 am

Hey guys,

I just recently got access to controlling the temperature of my fermentation. So far I have done 3 batches and all 3 seem to have stopped fermenting early (around 1.030 give or take) I am using US05 yeast and they are not super high gravity. The biggest is 1.068 OG. I have the controller set at 66F. I have tried swirling and raising the temp a bit with little success. The only other thing I can think of that is different is that I haven't used whir floc on any of these brews. Can this make a difference in FG? The fact that it has happened 3 times in a row makes me think its gotta be something I'm doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
scav7
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: first 3 batches with temperature control stuck??

Postby Brewtime » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 am

scav7 wrote:Hey guys,

I just recently got access to controlling the temperature of my fermentation. So far I have done 3 batches and all 3 seem to have stopped fermenting early (around 1.030 give or take) I am using US05 yeast and they are not super high gravity. The biggest is 1.068 OG. I have the controller set at 66F. I have tried swirling and raising the temp a bit with little success. The only other thing I can think of that is different is that I haven't used whir floc on any of these brews. Can this make a difference in FG? The fact that it has happened 3 times in a row makes me think its gotta be something I'm doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

First let me ask you some questions

are the beers extract or all grain?
are you making a starter?
are you oxygenating the wort prior to pitching?
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Denny » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am

I think you may have a wort fermentability issue, which is what I think Brewtime was getting at. Let us know what the recipes were. Also, try a forced ferment test to determine the limit of fermentability.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby scav7 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:39 am

The batches are all grain mashed around 152-154 with a 168 sparge in 5 gallon coolers. I did not do a starter because I have been told that dry yeast packets should have more than enough yeast cells for a 5 gallon batch and my only way of oxygenating is to shake the carboy before pitching the yeast and yes I have done that. I never have had this problem before I started controlling the temperature and I didn't change anything else about my process besides the whir floc tablet (mainly because i forgot to get them).

Thank you guys!
scav7
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Denny » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 am

scav7 wrote:The batches are all grain mashed around 152-154 with a 168 sparge in 5 gallon coolers. I did not do a starter because I have been told that dry yeast packets should have more than enough yeast cells for a 5 gallon batch and my only way of oxygenating is to shake the carboy before pitching the yeast and yes I have done that. I never have had this problem before I started controlling the temperature and I didn't change anything else about my process besides the whir floc tablet (mainly because i forgot to get them).

Thank you guys!

OK, basic process is fine. Dry yeast doesn't need a starter, or even aeration really. I can't think of any way that temp control could have caused your problem. Do you know how to do a forced ferment test?

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby scav7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 am

I don't know how to do that but I can look it up. What would cause unfermentables in the beer?
scav7
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Denny » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 am

scav7 wrote:I don't know how to do that but I can look it up. What would cause unfermentables in the beer?

Incomplete conversion, a high amount of crystal malt, or other factors.

Here are instructions for the fast ferment test. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... rment_Test Basically you take a little wort and ad a huge amount of yeast to it, then ferment it at room temp or warmer. You can even use bread yeast. The idea is to see if the wort will ferment any more under favorable conditions. If it does, then you have a yeast related issue. If it doesn't, then the problem is wort related.

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby scav7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:31 am

Awesome I'll try that out. Thank you for your help!
scav7
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Denny » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 am

scav7 wrote:Awesome I'll try that out. Thank you for your help!

Glad to help!

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby susan123 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Denny wrote:
scav7 wrote:I don't know how to do that but I can look it up. What would cause unfermentables in the beer?

Incomplete conversion, a high amount of crystal malt, or other factors.

Here are instructions for the fast ferment test. Basically you take a little wort and ad a huge amount of yeast to it, then ferment it at room temp or warmer. You can even use bread yeast. The idea is to see if the wort will ferment any more under favorable conditions. If it does, then you have a yeast related issue. If it doesn't, then the problem is wort related.
panniculectomyhyperthymesiadorsalgia

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it
[size=1]subchorionichemorrhagehealth care tippoikilothermia
Last edited by susan123 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
susan123
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Only other question is what was the temp of your wort when you pitched the US-05. If too warm at pitching, maybe you killed the yeast before they got started.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Fermentation