plum ale

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

plum ale

Postby mcoates » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi, I picked a whole bunch of plums from my tree today and froze a bunch of them. I want to make a plum ale and need some ideas. Not too high in alcohol, maybe 4.5% or so. I returned to homebrewing after a 25 year or so break. Probably do a 3 gallon extract batch. What should the gravity be before I add the plums? I was thinking about adding 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon. Anything I should add to it to keep some sweetness because I expect the plums to dry it out some. Any ideas welcome

Thank you
Mark
It's a fine line between stupid and clever.
mcoates
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: plum ale

Postby CA_Mouse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:07 pm

I think that it all depends on the type of plums. I would probably go with a farmhouse or saison, you could even do a light wheat beer. IMNSHO, Black Plums would be best for a Wheat Beer, Red Plums in a farmhouse and Green Plums (yes I have had these, very sweet and tart at the same time) for a saison.

To keep it in the 4.5% range, I would think that you wouldn't want an OG of more than 1.040-1.050, most likely somewhere in the area of 1.030-1.040 would be ideal.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby alewife » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 am

+1 imo too. Black plums would give wonderful color, too.
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby mcoates » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Not sure what type of plums they are. The skin is almost like a pluot but the flesh is more like a plum. They are very sweet and tasty. I like the idea of a wheat beer. Prob go that route.
Thank you
Mark
It's a fine line between stupid and clever.
mcoates
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby bswamp » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:53 am

Yeah brother. I'm 6-7 months behind you when I saw this. I am a beer AND wine maker. You've been blessed with WINE ingredients. Skip the ale next time & just make wine. As easy as beer; maybe easier - no hopping. It's just harder to clear. Use MoreBeer!'s cuvee` yeast for all your wines, and use their Biofine mystery clarifier. The biofine says something on it about drops. Just throw in the whole bottle. It's quite small. Don't bother with bentonite (basically, clay flowerpot dust), as it makes huge clouds in the ferment, which require straining. It seems that polyclar heps, too, but biofine's what I've been looking for. Just add corn sugar or even cane sugar -real cheap at Wal*Mart - as needed to spike it up. Don't have my files on hand. I guess anywhere from 4 to 8 lbs sugar should do it. Choose your strength. And I never had any problems with cane though I think I read some kind of complaints about it somewhere. Don't worry about cane sugar in wine.
I had to remove some huge pine trees next to my house. A big, healthy crop of prime wild blackberries developed in place of the trees. I freeze the extra berries till ready, and can use 6 to 10 lbs per 5 - gal. batch. 8's perfect. The wine's been great. As my crop yields grew, I just evolved from light to strong wine! Like you, I couldn't let the fruit go to waste. But wine's the best way to exploit it; better than flavored ale. I made wild grape wine in 2011 when a hurricane dropped treetops that had grapes high in the canopy. Normally unharvestable. But 20 lbs of grapes "came to me". So I was compelled to use it. Mildly annoyed at the distraction from my lagering, I had to do it! Nature's bounty for the taking. Answer the call mof nature - with wine.
bswamp
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby dafa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:54 am

all depends on the type of plums :_)
dafa
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby JoyInigo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 am

When our plum trees mature, they will be one of three sizes: Dwarf Plum Trees mature to be about 8-10' tall and wide. Even though they are smaller, they produce an abundance of full-size fruit. Standard Plum Trees mature to be about 15-25' tall and 20' wide.
JoyInigo
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby SuperPlumber » Sat May 20, 2017 2:13 am

I don't know for sure. Learning still but it sounds like it would be good.
SuperPlumber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing