How to use yeast energizer?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How to use yeast energizer?

Postby hop2it » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 am

Can someone explain (in some detail) how to add yeast energizer to a slow, struggling, or stuck primary fermentation? I don't have the problem yet, but I want to be ready in case I do. I searched the forum and the web and I couldn't find reliable directions.

Thanks.
hop2it
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Can you be a little more specific as to a yeast energizer .

I use all of my yeast goodies in starters and boils . I have never thought about using anything after pitching , but that does mean it is not done .
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby hop2it » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 am

I can't actually be more specific about what the yeast energizer is, but only b/c I don't know. It's just a little packet of white powder that I got at my LHBS that says "yeast energizer" on it. I think that I have read that it is old yeast shells plus nutrients? I feel like I have heard people say that they add it to the primary sometimes if the fermentation gets stuck and they need to knock 10 or so points off of the gravity. But, I don't know if you just sprinkle it in? Or mixed it with sterile water first? Do you just dump it in and leave it or do you stir very gently? Any insights on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
hop2it
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby lootcorp » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:38 pm

I've only used yeast nutrients when making starters, where I add it in to the boil when I'm making my starter wort. Not sure if it is meant to be added to an already-fermenting beer, but don't take that as the final word by any means.

Personally, I think the best way to approach the issue is avoid stuck fermentations in the first place. Aerate well, pitch BIG (aka, make a starter), and keep your ferm temps where they are supposed to be.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help if you are dealing with a stuck ferm currently - if that's the case, have you tried gently swirling the fermentor to rouse the yeast, or bumping up the ferm temp a little? In a worst case scenario, I'd probably add a little dry yeast (US-56 or similar) before I'd add yeast nutrients to my wort...
-Jim
(Norwalk, CT)

Check out my beer blog @ http://www.lootcorp.com

"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs." -David Daye

Primary: 10 gallons of Pumpkin Spice
Conditioning: 10 gallons of K├Âlsch
On Deck: Wife's choice, TBD

Back in the game after a long absence!
lootcorp
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby balloon_knot » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:11 am

i'm completely sold on the servomyces i used in my last two batches i've never had such a strong fermintation before i used them
balloon_knot

Postby mr.so.brewer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:08 pm

dont you love the help you get on here sometimes.

I would call your lhbs for directions. Depending on the brand the amount added could vary for literally a pinch for 5 gallons to 1 teaspoon per gallon. Some energizers may work best if boiled.

Caution with using nutrients with starters---most nutrients will lower the PH so if you use to much you can harm your yeast.
mr.so.brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing