Can I bottle AND keg the same batch?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Can I bottle AND keg the same batch?

Postby YellowMustang » Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm

I have an IPA that I would like to keg AND bottle, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

The goal is to attempt bottling a few large bottles to take to a buddy who lives out of state next month, but still keg it so I can drink it quicker.

Is there an easy way to bottle a few and then keg it?
How much sugar to use to bottle?
Can I use the whole sugar amount, bottle the amount needed, then keg and force carbonate the rest?

Thanks!!
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

On Tap: Oaked IPA. 7.3%, Baby!!
Bottled: Vanilla Bean Bourbon Smoked Porter, Wrong Red Ale, Charlie's Brown
Primary: Coffee/Cocoa Porter
Secondary: Honey Peel Amber
Next up: Recovery.
YellowMustang
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby whiteManCanHop » Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 pm

I would just keg the whole batch and force carbinate. You can always fill a few bottles from the keg.
whiteManCanHop
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Dr Gonzo » Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 pm

I do this with pretty much every batch of beer I brew, unless I don't have any bottles available. There are a couple ways you can approach it.... Once your beer is done add the appropriate amount of priming sugar simple syrup to your bottling bucket and then rack the beer on top of it. Then fill the amount of bottles you want and transfer the rest to a keg and seal it and purge it and let it carbonate naturally for a week or 2. After that put it in your kegerator at 10 psi and server. Now this method saves a little CO2 in the process but takes longer.

If you don't use a bottling bucket or want your kegged beer ready to drink sooner once your beer is done... Fill the amount of bottles you want and prime each of them with appropriate amount of priming sugar. Transfer the rest to a keg and put it under 25-30lbs of pressure. This is the method I usually use because the beer is carbonated in 3-4 days and not 1-2 weeks 8)
Don't tell me those things.

On Tap:
Munich 420 Dunkel spezielle Hopfenhinzufugung
Ramstout
RamZenBock
Gonzo Franconian Weissbier
Fermenting:
NONE
On Deck:
Gute Scheize Pilsner
Dr Gonzo
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby webmar » Mon May 07, 2007 7:10 am

I bottle a 12 pack of every batch. I think I figured it to 1/4 tablespoon per bottle. BUT the best thing to do is buy the coopers carbonation drops. It is one drop per 12 oz bottle. 2 per 22 oz bottle etc... I don;'t know about champagne bottles. Just do the conversion of 1 drop per 12 ounces of beer.

So I bottle 12 with the carbonation drops then I put the rest in the keg.

Or you can prime the whole thing and naturally carbonated the keg like mentioned, or prime the whole thing and immediately put the keg in the kegorator and chill it to drop the yeast out of suspension and the froce carb. That little bit of priming sugar should not really add a whole lot of sweetness to the beer.

Another way to do it would be to mix the corn sugar into 100ml of boiled water. Cool it, then add about 2ml (using a syringe or dropper of some sort) of that mixture to each bottle. That computes out to about 50 bottles. Which is what I usually get out of 5 gallons of beer. It is not exact, but will get you in the ballpark.

Like I said, the easiest way is to just use the carbonation drops.
webmar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby BikerAggie » Mon May 07, 2007 7:19 am

When I first started brewing my buddy kegged in the mini kegs and I was bottling. We were both engineers so we ended up with 2 pages of calculations to get the priming ratio right for the two different size containers :P
BikerAggie
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Liquid Bread » Tue May 08, 2007 1:53 pm

BikerAggie wrote:When I first started brewing my buddy kegged in the mini kegs and I was bottling. We were both engineers so we ended up with 2 pages of calculations to get the priming ratio right for the two different size containers :P

Was this back before Excel was invented? :P
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie
Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing