Anyone ever add bourbon to their porter?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Anyone ever add bourbon to their porter?

Postby A L E X » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 pm

I think I want to try a bourbon vanilla porter this weekend. I'm an extract noob still, and I was wondering when the best time to add, well, bourbon and porter. All the looking around I've done says secondary for both vanilla beans and/or extract (I think I would like to use beans), but what about the bourbon? How much is a reasonable amount? Are there any other ramifications, if I'm bottling? I guess I'm asking would there be an increased chance of bottle bombs with the added bourbon?
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Anyone ever add bourbon to their porter?

Postby Billy Klubb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:07 pm

I don't think your bottles would explode. I would think that it would be harder to carbonate on account of the added alcohol.
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby A L E X » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm

yeah, I guess that is a little over worry. So, how could I add some of that type flavor (bourbon) then?
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm

soak some oak chips in bourbon & add to secondary would be my idea.
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cbbrown40 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm

When I do this I add the chips to the bourban the day I brew. I then put the chips in the fridge and leave them alone soaking until the beer is done and then add to the secondary. I do this for Barley wine and RIS. Tommorow I am brewing a Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout so I will soak my beans in Captain morgan until fermentation is complete and them add the beans and Captain morgan to the Secondary. Becareful a little Booze goes a long ways One or two shots of liquor should surfice
A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Many people drink beer. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer".
-Frederick The Great
-

VISIT COOTER BROWN BREWING AT
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg86/cbbrown40/
cbbrown40
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby A L E X » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm

cbbrown40 wrote:When I do this I add the chips to the bourban the day I brew. I then put the chips in the fridge and leave them alone soaking until the beer is done and then add to the secondary. I do this for Barley wine and RIS. Tommorow I am brewing a Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout so I will soak my beans in Captain morgan until fermentation is complete and them add the beans and Captain morgan to the Secondary. Becareful a little Booze goes a long ways One or two shots of liquor should surfice

thanks Billy and cb.

cool, I think I'll try this. You leave it, like say, two weeks in the secondary?
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby cbbrown40 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I will tell you 10-14 days. Taste it after a week and see what kind of oak or vanilla flavour you have and go from there
A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Many people drink beer. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer".
-Frederick The Great
-

VISIT COOTER BROWN BREWING AT
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg86/cbbrown40/
cbbrown40
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby A L E X » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm

well, after some research on this, on this site (which is probably what I should have done first) I think I'm going to soak some vanilla beans in bourbon, and then and that to the secondary. That's seems like the path of least resistance to get the flavor I'm looking for.
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:45 am

I think that's a good idea . I split 4 vanilla beans and soak in Two cup of jack during primary , than i transfer the whole shebang to glass for a week . Bottle as usual or drink from the glass :P
Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Denny » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:40 am

I out the beans in secondary and add the bourbon to taste at bottling. I use 375 ml. of bourbon for a 5 gal. batch. Why do you think that adding bourbon would make the bottles explode???
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby A L E X » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Denny wrote:I out the beans in secondary and add the bourbon to taste at bottling. I use 375 ml. of bourbon for a 5 gal. batch. Why do you think that adding bourbon would make the bottles explode???

First, I blame my mother for making me worry so much.
Second, extra alcohol, extra sugars, extra noobish worries...

anyway, man, I've searched high and low on this, and will say this...

Denny, I have to try on of yours. Beers.
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 pm

gonna soak some heavy toast chips in some Bulleit Bourbon with a vanilla bean for a porter. I'm pretty f-ing excited.

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 pm

cbbrown40 wrote:Becareful a little Booze goes a long ways One or two shots of liquor should surfice
I guess it depends on what kind of booze you are adding. I use 375ml which is a half a bottle of Jim Beam Black per 5 gallons of porter and it is perfectly balanced with the 2 vanilla beans and the porter.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MaltnHopsrGood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:52 pm

I added 3 vanilla beans that were soaked in 8 oz of Capt Morgans Private Stock (added the 8 oz of liquor to it also) to a porter a year and a half ago. It tasted terrible at first, gave it a thin mouthfeel, and little carbonation. The flavors didn't come together until about 6 months of aging, then it was okay. It really was GOOD after about 8 months, and it seemed like the mouthfeel improved also.

Just my experience though.
Bottled: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout, Off Your Rocker Cider
Keg #1: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout
Keg #2: Explosive IPA
Keg #3: Explosive IPA
Keg #4: Empty
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: Maibock???
Brewed in 2013: 55 gallons
Brewed in 2014: 25 gallons (so far)
MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby A L E X » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:10 pm

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:I added 3 vanilla beans that were soaked in 8 oz of Capt Morgans Private Stock (added the 8 oz of liquor to it also) to a porter a year and a half ago. It tasted terrible at first, gave it a thin mouthfeel, and little carbonation. The flavors didn't come together until about 6 months of aging, then it was okay. It really was GOOD after about 8 months, and it seemed like the mouthfeel improved also.

Just my experience though.

well, the plan is after bottling, to leave it sit until October/November. We'll see how that works out. Although I have been getting my stock up enough so that I have three different beers ready at all times.

I like the Capt. Morgan idea. I thought about that too for a bit. I also consider using one of the espresso flavored vodka's too, like the Three Olives or Van Gogh. I wonder how those would work in a brew.
A L E X
Pitcher (300 posts)

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing