1 Gallon Brews?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

1 Gallon Brews?

Postby allanplaysguitar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 pm

I want to start trying my hand at 1 gallon brewing. I was wondering if i could just cut a recipe by 1/5 from the 5 gallon batches or do i try something else? I don't want to use the malt extract w/hops added, i would rather try w/the normal extract and grains.

Any suggestions?
allanplaysguitar
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: 1 Gallon Brews?

Postby Brandon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 pm

WHy would you want to brew only 1 gallon? Thats alot of time and effort for that very small amount
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby ValonaBrewingCo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Actually, I think it's a great idea, especially for experimenting with recipes.
Crockett, don't knock it!

Hand Pump- Out of service :(
Taps- Krappy Kolsch
Fermenting- Wit
Next Brew- ???
ValonaBrewingCo
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Brandon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 pm

5 gallon batches are my experimental sizes lol
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm

I have often thought about doing 3 gallons, never 1 though, that isn't near enough for the time involved.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby ValonaBrewingCo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm

I think you could save a lot of time just by not having as much to clean. If you did BIAB and kept it real simple, you would just have a pot, a jug to ferment in, and a funnel.

Taps- Krappy Kolsch
Fermenting- Wit
Next Brew- ???
ValonaBrewingCo
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby krizwit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Brandon wrote:5 gallon batches are my experimental sizes lol

I am the same way.....

1g batches woudl be a big PITA unless you really just want to experiment alot and dont drink that much.... I would bump it up to at least 2.5g.

ONe thing you may want to try is brewing a 5g batch of just pilsner, marris otter, am. 2row, etc and then steeping small amounts of crystal or mini mashing other grains to see how they impact flavor...
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby majorvices » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:32 am

allanplaysguitar wrote:I want to start trying my hand at 1 gallon brewing. I was wondering if i could just cut a recipe by 1/5 from the 5 gallon batches or do i try something else? I don't want to use the malt extract w/hops added, i would rather try w/the normal extract and grains.

Any suggestions?

Should be that easy. My suggestion, get a refractometer because you will waste a lot of beer taking hydrometer samples. IIRC there is a podcast called countertop mashing or 1 gallon brewing or something like that at http://www.basicbrewing.com - you will have to search for it. It is there somewhere.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Beer4Guy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:36 am

A gallon of beer doesn't even last through breakfast around here.

Guy
Beer4Guy
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:51 am

Isn't that just one of Majorvice's starters?
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: RIS, West Coast Blaster, Porter
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby majorvices » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:10 am

I've actually had to move up to five gallon starter now. Seriously.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby callouslybrewed » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 pm

My friend makes his own beer too, and so I was actually thinking of making my own 1 gal batches as well. Should i skip the 1 gallon batches and just start with 2 gallon batches? My girlfriend is against me making my own beer and said i can't have any smelly things brewing in the house (she means the addition of hops) so i guess i can't add hops to the boil or if i do i have to brew when she goes shopping. Are there any substitutes for hops i read i could use coco nibbs?
callouslybrewed
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby ValonaBrewingCo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 am

callouslybrewed wrote:My friend makes his own beer too, and so I was actually thinking of making my own 1 gal batches as well. Should i skip the 1 gallon batches and just start with 2 gallon batches? My girlfriend is against me making my own beer and said i can't have any smelly things brewing in the house (she means the addition of hops) so i guess i can't add hops to the boil or if i do i have to brew when she goes shopping. Are there any substitutes for hops i read i could use coco nibbs?

You're not married yet. Find a new girl friend.

Taps- Krappy Kolsch
Fermenting- Wit
Next Brew- ???
ValonaBrewingCo
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 am

callouslybrewed wrote:My friend makes his own beer too, and so I was actually thinking of making my own 1 gal batches as well. Should i skip the 1 gallon batches and just start with 2 gallon batches? My girlfriend is against me making my own beer and said i can't have any smelly things brewing in the house (she means the addition of hops) so i guess i can't add hops to the boil or if i do i have to brew when she goes shopping. Are there any substitutes for hops i read i could use coco nibbs?

Honestly, there is no real sub for hops if you are making most styles. I agree, find a new gf and go with these guys motto - http://www.bfd.org/
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: RIS, West Coast Blaster, Porter
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby NikoBrew » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 am

I've actually just become interested in this as well. I'd like to say I drink a gallon for breakfast like some but I don't. I also don't get much time to brew so I was thinking of just doing a small mash on the stove. Has anybody actually done this and do they have any feedback? I figure when you do extract with some steeping grains and you convert that recipe to all grain you just add those steeping grains to your mash. So if I take the grain I would use in 5 gallons, scale it down, and then treat them as steeping grains, call that my wort, would that work? Also checking mr malty's pitching rate calculator even one pack of dry yeast has more than enough cells in it for 1 gallon of a 1.080 beer. So if I hydrated the yeast and pitched it or even made two 1 gallon batches and split the dry yeast over both of those without making a starter, assuming I don't get an infection, wouldn't that logically work? I think that could be fun.
"Samsonite, I was WAY off!" - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.NikoBrew.com - Low priced hops!
NikoBrew
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing