Adding peach puree to extract brew

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adding peach puree to extract brew

Postby CJBtheDJB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 am

I am planning a peach beer and am unsure as to when the perfect time to add my peach puree to the brew is.
I will be brewing a 5 gallon batch based on an American Wheat Ale with California Ale yeast.
Peach puree will be a total of 49oz, I have confirmed that it will arive commercially sanitized.

I was thinking that I would boil as usual, add the wort to my carboy, top it off to 5 gallons, then add the puree ON TOP of the 5 gallons right into the primary fermenter from the get go.
However, I just read another thread detailing how just a bit of orange added at at this time caused some massive fermenting issues and for lack of a better term explosion.

My other thought is to boil and ferment as usual, then add the puree to the carboy maybe 2-3 days before bottling. This way most if not all of the fermentation should be done and I don't have a bomb on my hands. My only concern here is not getting as much flavor out of the puree, as I am sure a lot will settle and not transfer out when I syphon to bottle. I feel like if it is in the fermenter while fermentation is actually taking place it will help to spread the flavor throughout the brew.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: Yes, I am new to brewing!
CJBtheDJB
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Adding peach puree to extract brew

Postby CJBtheDJB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:59 am

Well in the time it took me to write this post, I got a reply from MoreBeer staff.
They said a direct ferment addition should be just fine, and responded very quickly to boot. Kudos to them for that.
CJBtheDJB
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:18 am

CJBtheDJB wrote:MoreBeer staff.
They said a direct ferment addition should be just fine

Yes, this is the procedure: Ferment beer in bucket or carboy, after airlock activity slows down 4-6th day, put the canned fruit puree into a sanitized bucket or carboy. Then rack the beer on top of the fruit, let this secondary ferment go at least another week.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby CJBtheDJB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:47 am

Interesting, they said I could add directly to the carboy even before adding yeast.

"Right after the transfer would be a perfect time to add the puree. You may also add it a couple days into fermentation or after primary alcoholic fermentation is over.

If we're experimenting with them for the first time, I think a primary fermentor addition would be a good start. After the transfer to the carboy, add the puree to the carboy, top up, and add the yeast."

Do you not recommend doing this?
I do have a bottling bucket with lid that also has a hole cut for an airlock. I suppose I could do like you said and then pop the lid on with the airlock from my carboy.
CJBtheDJB
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby hwasone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 pm

both ways work fine. any way you add it, you might consider using a blow-off tube instead of airlock. usually whole fruit is more trouble (lots of surfaces for bubbles to form) in my experience.
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby CJBtheDJB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Yeah a friend of mine much more versed in brewing only uses blow off tubes.
I think I will just go to Home Depot and fashion my own rather than buy a "kit" for one.

Thanks for the input.
CJBtheDJB
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am

Lots of the aromatics will be blown out in the primary, so the secondary will give more aroma/flavor to the finished beer, but either way will work.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby NonHopHead » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:56 am

I agree 100% with TurboAle - you really will see more expression of the fruit if you add the puree after the primary fermentation is over. Regarding how to add it, I've used both of the methods you've been given. If I intend to age the beer in a secondary fermenter, then I will add the fruit puree to the secondary. If I don't intend on a long bulk aging, then I just pour right into the primary after the airlock has slowed down. It will kick the fermentation back up a bit (usually for a day or two), but I ferment in a 7.9 gal Speidel fermenter when I know I'm going to add fruit, so blowout isn't an issue.
NonHopHead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby CJBtheDJB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:09 am

Thanks for all the replies.
I decided to wait until after primary fermentation has completed. I brewed last Friday and my airlock (did not go the blowoff tube route) has pretty much stopped, but I think I am going to wait until this upcoming Friday to add the fruit. I am not going to do a secondary fermenter so I will just add it into the primary and keep an eye on it. Then I was planning to wait another two full weeks until bottling so that if any fermentation starts up again, I give it another full week ferementing and another full week for settling.
CJBtheDJB
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing