what temp to add the boiled corn sugar?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: what temp to add the boiled corn sugar?

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 pm

mr.gbu wrote:I was told at a brew seminar that stainless steel pots should only be used because any other pot can possibly give an off flavor to the beer so I figured that also apply too boiling the sugar since the yeast will be feasting on it to create carbonation

Sorry, but that is old, disproven BS. I have a wall full of ribbons I won for beers boiled in AL pots.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mr.gbu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:22 am

Denny wrote:
mr.gbu wrote:I was told at a brew seminar that stainless steel pots should only be used because any other pot can possibly give an off flavor to the beer so I figured that also apply too boiling the sugar since the yeast will be feasting on it to create carbonation

Sorry, but that is old, disproven BS. I have a wall full of ribbons I won for beers boiled in AL pots.

so any aluminum stock pot will do ? dam they had me with that one lol
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Denny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am

mr.gbu wrote:
Denny wrote:

so any aluminum stock pot will do ? dam they had me with that one lol

Yep. I started out with a turkey fryer setup that had a propane burner and a 7.5 gal. AL kettle. I did Ag partial boils in the kettle and started winning ribbons. Someone eventually gave me a converted keg to use for boiling, but 15 years and 453 batches later I still use that AL kettle to heat water for my mash.

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mr.gbu » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 am

wouldn't mind trying your beer but Yea had a hard time trying to convince my cousin Al is good to boil he still stuck on the myth lol any ways does any of your al pots have ball valve welded on to the pot ,where will I be able to buy one with a valve on it or would I have to get one welded on there ?
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 am

mr.gbu wrote:wouldn't mind trying your beer but Yea had a hard time trying to convince my cousin Al is good to boil he still stuck on the myth lol any ways does any of your al pots have ball valve welded on to the pot ,where will I be able to buy one with a valve on it or would I have to get one welded on there ?

If you want to convince him, at the top of the pic are just a few of the ribbons I won with the AL kettle. The kettle itself is sitting on the burner on the pic.

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mr.gbu » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 am

Denny wrote:
mr.gbu wrote:wouldn't mind trying your beer but Yea had a hard time trying to convince my cousin Al is good to boil he still stuck on the myth lol any ways does any of your al pots have ball valve welded on to the pot ,where will I be able to buy one with a valve on it or would I have to get one welded on there ?

If you want to convince him, at the top of the pic are just a few of the ribbons I won with the AL kettle. The kettle itself is sitting on the burner on the pic.

haha I'll show him and you win ribbons with that simple set that's awesome I would have thought you would have had a 3 tier brew scuplture or something crazy
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 pm

mr.gbu wrote:haha I'll show him and you win ribbons with that simple set that's awesome I would have thought you would have had a 3 tier brew scuplture or something crazy

It's the brewer that makes the beer, not the equipment. I've brewed 453 batches over the last 16 tears using that setup. If I thought that something else would make better beer, I would have changed a long time ago!

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing