reason why this would happen?

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reason why this would happen?

Postby mr.gbu » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

So I brewed a batch of amber ale at my brothers pad about 2 weeks ago today the weather been up and down lately but he guaranteed me that the garage was a cool place to store it. today he sends me this pic Below it had exploded from the stopper got every where has this happen to anyone before? I'm taking in consideration that temp could have been at fault here I'm also considering that the beer was too sugary possibly? I didn't get the og reading for it at the time. Can anyone tell me what might have caused this ?

mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: reason why this would happen?

Postby CA_Mouse » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Just an overly happy fermentation. We've all seen this from time to time. A blow off tube instead of an airlock can prevent this from going everywhere. There are several reasons this can happen. Not enough headspace in your carboy, pitching too much yeast (not very likely, but possible) and slightly warm temperature during fermentation are just a few.Keeping your fermentation temperatures steady and in the mid-60s (for ales) usually will keep this from occurring or you can always add foam control to your fermenter just before pitching (I've heard from some that this can kill head retention, but haven't added it to the fermenter myself).
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:07 am

CA_Mouse wrote:There are several reasons this can happen. Not enough headspace in your carboy, pitching too much yeast (not very likely, but possible) and slightly warm temperature during fermentation are just a few.

Would also add that yeast strains differ in the amount of krausen they produce as well. And as you suggested in the OP, a very high gravity starting point can also make for a much more vigorous fermentation. This has happened to most of us at one point or another.

In terms of the foam control, I use it in the boil kettle - so I assume some of it makes it's way over to the finished product - and have NO issues with head retention at all. YMMV if used in fermentation.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby mr.gbu » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks guys I had a feeling it had something to do with the og and having a violent fermentation lol I ended up tossing it , it seemed like it sat like this for a few days and smelled funny
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

Did you taste it?

Never toss a beer until you give it time and taste. I set on beers for months sometimes and they improve or get worse but only then will I dump it.

It won't hurt you, no know pathogens can survive in beer so it is complete safe to drink, just might not taste well.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby pclemon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am

The funny smell was more likely the yeast and other stuff that was spilled all over the floor.
Pete
pclemon

Postby tookalisten » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:49 pm

I agree, never toss one until you give it time. I too am betting the smell was from the yeast.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: RIS, Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale, JZ's WCB
tookalisten

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm

I have used foam control in the primary fermenter, up to four drops for a 5 gallon batch, no problems with head retention. I only do this if I think there will be a blow-off issue, like no temp control, certain yeast strains.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby mr.gbu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 am

Didn't get to taste it, wasn't around when it got tossed :(
mr.gbu
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am

mr.gbu wrote:Didn't get to taste it, wasn't around when it got tossed :(

I have tossed a few beers in my day but only after month after it has been kegged and it does not improve. Too much time put into it not to let it feed the grass outside.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing