When to add coffee

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

When to add coffee

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:20 am

I'm thinking of adding coffee to a stout I plan on making. When is the best time to add? I was thinking of the last 10-15 min of the boil in a grain bag to allow it to steep so to get a nice coffee flavor in the background but have also read about putting it in the primary. Thoughts?
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: When to add coffee

Postby Denny » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 am

I hate coffee added to the boil..it tastes like boiled coffee! I use 2 methods. I use 4-5 oz. of coarsely cracked beans in a bag in the secondary for aroma and a bit of flavor. Then when I bottle or keg I add strong brewed coffee to taste. I pour 4 2 oz. samples of the beer and add a different, measured amount of coffee to each. I taste and decide which I like best, then scale that amount up to the batch size. I have also found that I need to cut back a bit on the bittering hops and roast malt in the beer to account for the coffee.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 am

You could also use the cold steep method, add the cracked coffee beans to cold water for 24 hours, strain off the beans, add the coffee juice to keg/bottling bucket to taste.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 am

My best result was with a Porter where I mildly cracked about 4 oz of whole beans, placed in a muslin bag and put in the keg. I left it in only for a few days until I got the aroma/taste that I wanted and then pulled it out.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: RIS, Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale, JZ's WCB
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby johncieera » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 am

add coffee in the secondary.In this site explain how you can do it http://www.cubancigarsbest.com/blog/how-to-store-your-cuban-cigars-without-owning-a-humidor/ crush the coffee beans with something and put it.
johncieera
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing