Sweet stout, Irish Red and obSession IPA

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sweet stout, Irish Red and obSession IPA

Postby Tresguey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Haven't brewed in a while. At least a year and a half. My boss asked me to brew three styles for SEMA which is the beginning of November. Did the Stout first. Irish Red second and the IPA today. Stout has been fermenting for about a week and the air lock bubbler has slowed to about a stop. Irish Red has 5 days and is slowing down. From what I remember they were my other brews were pretty active for over a week I thought. Or am I not remembering correctly.

Also from what I remember is I sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks then transfer to keg correct?
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it...." - Spicoli

Give me a Pizza and a Friendly Frosty and I'm set!!!
Tresguey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Sweet stout, Irish Red and obSession IPA

Postby dmtaylor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Here's how I do it:

1) Wait for the airlock to stop bubbling. Might take 2 days, might take 6 weeks. You never really know for certain how long.

2) When the airlock quits bubbling, you can take a gravity reading. Do NOT rack it to secondary.

3) Wait 3 days, then take another gravity reading. If the gravity remains constant, you can safely keg or bottle. If not, then wait another 3 days and repeat until it stays constant.

That's about it.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:47 pm

I give my ales 14 days in the primary, average days for airlock activity is around 5 days, but it can vary.
I give my Lagers 28 days in primary.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I too always give my ales 14 days in the primary and then transfer to keg.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: RIS, Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale, JZ's WCB
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing