Head on beer

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Head on beer

Postby PeterNash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:23 am

I have been brewing fot the past three years and am pleased with taste the clearness its all fdine apart from the head on the beer to start with its looks wonderful then after two or three minutes the head has gone completetly the beer does not cling to the glass as a good brew should.
PeterNash
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Head on beer

Postby dmtaylor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:50 am

1) Your glassware needs to be spotless, with zero soapy or salty residue. I always rinse my glassware a couple of times right before I pour my beer in, just to make sure.

2) Fermentation temperature can have an impact as well. If you ferment above 68 F (20 C) all the time, then this can impact head retention. Ferment cool in the low to mid 60s (18 C) and the problem might disappear.

And that's about it.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Denny » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:21 am

There can be several reasons for that.

1.) Your glasses may not be "beer clean". Dampen the inside of the glass and pour some salt on the sides. Scrub it around thoroughly then rinse. see if that improves things.

2.) Recipe can be a factor. For one thing, extract tends to have less protein (protein helps from foam) because the extract has already been boiled. Adding some grain, like crustal malt, can help that.

3.) Hoppier beers will have better foam. The polyphenols in the hops bind the proteins in the beer and help create head.

4.) Most people don't realize that fermentation plays a big role. Pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast and maintaining a correct fermentation temp will help a lot. This article explains it, as well as having tests you can do to help you diagnose your problem....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... techniques
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby PeterNash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:51 am

dmtaylor wrote:1) Your glassware needs to be spotless, with zero soapy or salty residue. I always rinse my glassware a couple of times right before I pour my beer in, just to make sure.

2) Fermentation temperature can have an impact as well. If you ferment above 68 F (20 C) all the time, then this can impact head retention. Ferment cool in the low to mid 60s (18 C) and the problem might disappear.

And that's about it.

Many thanks I thought my glass was clean but I will have another go at that The temp is interesting as it was summer here the temp was a costant 21c and of course of the summer temp I could do nothing about that.

Peter
PeterNash
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby PeterNash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

Denny wrote:There can be several reasons for that.

1.) Your glasses may not be "beer clean". Dampen the inside of the glass and pour some salt on the sides. Scrub it around thoroughly then rinse. see if that improves things.

2.) Recipe can be a factor. For one thing, extract tends to have less protein (protein helps from foam) because the extract has already been boiled. Adding some grain, like crustal malt, can help that.

3.) Hoppier beers will have better foam. The polyphenols in the hops bind the proteins in the beer and help create head.

4.) Most people don't realize that fermentation plays a big role. Pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast and maintaining a correct fermentation temp will help a lot. This article explains it, as well as having tests you can do to help you diagnose your problem....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... techniques

I thought my glass was clean but another go at it might help the temp is interesting as it was a hot summer here in UK the fermentation temp was always at 21c and I could not get it lower than that owing to the weather
Many thanks for your advice,

Peter
PeterNash
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Denny » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:41 pm

PeterNash wrote:I thought my glass was clean but another go at it might help the temp is interesting as it was a hot summer here in UK the fermentation temp was always at 21c and I could not get it lower than that owing to the weather
Many thanks for your advice,

Peter

Think about the "Cheap'n'Easy" temp control method. Put the fermenter in a large tub of water. The extra mass buffers temp swings. Then you can add ice, ice packs, bottles of frozen water, etc. to the tub of water to maintain a cooler temp.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing