Timing of original gravity measurement

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timing of original gravity measurement

Postby DCBrew15 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:37 am

I was about to start my first batch (ever!), and realized that my brand-new hydrometer was broken. Do I need to measure the OG immediately after cooling the wort (meaning, I have to wait for a new hydrometer to arrive before I can get started), or can I take a sample after cooling (before fermentation) and just hold onto it for a couple of days while I wait for my new hydrometer?

Many thanks!
DCBrew15
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Timing of original gravity measurement

Postby Denny » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:49 am

DCBrew15 wrote:I was about to start my first batch (ever!), and realized that my brand-new hydrometer was broken. Do I need to measure the OG immediately after cooling the wort (meaning, I have to wait for a new hydrometer to arrive before I can get started), or can I take a sample after cooling (before fermentation) and just hold onto it for a couple of days while I wait for my new hydrometer?

Many thanks!

If you hold the sample you might experience spontaneous fermentation which would throw off the reading. Refrigerating it might help, though. But truthfully, when you brew with extract, there's really no need to take an OG. If you use all the the ingredients and end up with the volume specified, it WILL have the OG it was designed for. Go ahead and order a new hydrometer so you can take the FG when it's time.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby DCBrew15 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Awesome, thanks. I am using an extract kit, so will just go ahead as scheduled. New hydrometer is on the way.
DCBrew15
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby stefano2015 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 am

Good tips, thanks:)
stefano2015
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing