Dry hopping

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dry hopping

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 am

I'm doing a clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration. It requires dry hopping and it the recipe it says to transfer to a secondary and toss in the hops. For a big beer (1.068 OG) the recipe says 7 days in the primary, transfer to secondary and 5 days there with the hops. Seems like a shirt fermentation to me. My OG was higher so I'm not sure I want to try that. My current plan is to not use a secondary and dry hop approx 5 days before I think it will be done based on gravity readings. Opinions?
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Dry hopping

Postby Denny » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:57 am

Mattheus_Rex wrote:I'm doing a clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration. It requires dry hopping and it the recipe it says to transfer to a secondary and toss in the hops. For a big beer (1.068 OG) the recipe says 7 days in the primary, transfer to secondary and 5 days there with the hops. Seems like a shirt fermentation to me. My OG was higher so I'm not sure I want to try that. My current plan is to not use a secondary and dry hop approx 5 days before I think it will be done based on gravity readings. Opinions?

Wait for it to finish completely before dry hopping...Sierra Nevada does! Also, dry hopping is one of the few ties I use a secondary. There can be interactions between yeast and hops that increase the level of geraniol, a rose/geranium ester. I don't care for that so I get the beer off the yeast before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing