Pliny the Elder Extract Questions

Tips, tricks and techniques regarding brewing with extracts, steeping grains, and partial mash.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pliny the Elder Extract Questions

Postby Bhansen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 pm

I brewed the kit last week and I'm curious the process you all used because it seems like most of you have Brewed it before. I feel pretty confident I have done everything right until now, I have an active fermentation still going and about 5.5 gallons. I did a full boil, used 2 05 yeasts, and have it in a Speidel 7.9G carboy.

My question are-

Is it recommended to do a secondary for the dry hop process? And if so would it be recommended to siphon or use spigot? Also should I use a big mouth 6 gallon glass carboy or another Speidel 7.9G? I've heard the spigot can add more O2 to the beer then siphoning and if I use the glass carboy there will be less head space for O2 after the transfer. (I would use the appropriate amount of tubing with spigot, so I don't know how true either of these ideas are)

I asked a fellow Brewer and he suggested transfer to a secondary, dry hop for 5 days using a mess bag then removing them. After the dry hops have been removed letting it sit for an additional 2 weeks to clear up before I force keg.

I also have read people just dry hop into the primary for 5 days and then secondary for 2 weeks? I'm out of homebrew, so I'd really like this to get done right!

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Bhansen77
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Pliny the Elder Extract Questions

Postby Brewtime » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:37 am

This is what i do and I have made this kit several times (both the extract and all Grain). I have the same fermenter as you. I let it feremnt out then I toss the hops in the primary for 5 days then cold crash the beer for a few days. then rack to a keg and force carbonate. Never had in iss with any off flavors. I dont believe the spigot introduces 02 when you transfer.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:39 am

Welcome to the forum! Great questions.

I have been known to secondary many, many years ago; but I never use a secondary anymore for dry hopping.
Once primary fermentation is complete (I usually give it 7 days; but you can let your hydrometer tell you if you want to be exact), I just toss the hops into the fermentor.

For dry hops, you can use a muslin bag if you'd like (I have done this before too) for ease of extraction. But, I think you get better exposure by just dumping the hops in. Then I give it another 5 days or so, then cold crash for two days or so. The hops settle out and the beer will be clear; so why mess with the muslin bag.

I too use the Speidel and I rack straight into the keg using the spigot. I love the ease of use and have never had any issues.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Bhansen77 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Ok sounds like I will just dry hop in the primary and then cold crash. Do you leave the airlock on or cap it off when cold crashing?
Bhansen77
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm

I leave the airlock on.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby EvePowell » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:16 am

I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts
Ok sounds like I will just dry hop in the primary and then cold crash. Do you leave the airlock on or cap it off when cold crashing?
EvePowell
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing