Got a brewday disaster story?

General brewing discussion. If it isn't about beer and brewing, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Got a brewday disaster story?

Postby Denny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

You know how it goes. Drop a carboy, burn the mash, put 3 eyes of newt instead of 1. What's your disaster story? OK, we've all had those brewing days where nothing seems to go right. Not just running out of propane...you know, the kind of day where you wonder why you're doing this! But we power through and keep brewing. For our April Fools show, we're looking for stories of brew days gone wrong..really wrong. Something to make us all feel better about our own brewdays from Hell! Email your brewday disaster stories to podcast@experimentalbrew.com or call our Beer Hotline at 626.765.1ALE and tell us your story!
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Got a brewday disaster story?

Postby tookalisten » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 pm

This should be a good one! Cant wait to hear them.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Anderstefen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am

Denny wrote:You know how it goes. Drop a carboy, burn the mash, put 3 eyes of newt instead of 1. What's your disaster story? OK, we've all had those brewing days where nothing seems to go right. Not just running out of propane...you know, the kind of day where you wonder why you're doing this! But we power through and keep brewing. For our April Fools show, we're looking for stories of brew days gone wrong..really wrong. Something to make us all feel better about our own brewdays from Hell! Email your brewday disaster stories to podcast@experimentalbrew.com or call our Beer Hotline at 626.765.1ALE and tell us your story!

Alright I will send you one very embarrassing story in couple of hours. Just have to write it down :D

I hope you won't tell my nickname anywhere, lol :roll:
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Anderstefen
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm

One that stands out resulted in a trip to the hospital. It was a two batch day. I was chilling the first and had the second in the mash tun. I needed to modify some of the vinyl tubing on my system. In my haste I grabbed a razor blade rather than looking for a utility knife. As I was cutting the blade slipped and I cut a long gash down one of my fingers exposing the bone. The amount of blood was impressive. I thought, "I have to try and finish this." I wrapped up my hand really good and went back to my brewing fully intending to go get stitches when I was done. While racking the first batch into carboys I found that my hand started throbbing with pain and the smallest movement would reopen the wound and gush blood into my bandages. There was no way to delay medical treatment any longer. I had to leave everything and go to the hospital. I returned about three hours later and finished the brew day.
In the long run both batches of beer turned out perfectly drinkable. In fact, I will always remember the session CDA that I made that day. I have made it many times since and I always think of that day whenever I drink it.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby samara090 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 pm

I think you really have a brilliant idea.
samara090
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to General Beer Related