So whats brewing today?

General brewing discussion. If it isn't about beer and brewing, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: So whats brewing today?

Postby tookalisten » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:30 am

Drew - I was having a similar conversation this morning with my nephew. Years ago, I was brewing up to 200 gallons each year and now I am on pace for closer to 30 to 50 gallons. Consumption way down and I have not bought any sacks of grain in a while. I think I will start only ordering the 5 gal AG kits from B3.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: RIS, Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale, JZ's WCB
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby rplace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

tookalisten wrote:Drew - I was having a similar conversation this morning with my nephew. Years ago, I was brewing up to 200 gallons each year and now I am on pace for closer to 30 to 50 gallons. Consumption way down and I have not bought any sacks of grain in a while. I think I will start only ordering the 5 gal AG kits from B3.

If you two quit I'll be the only one here. I find a few of my hobbies....brewing, serious music listening, woodworking, running all tend to ebb and flow. A couple of things I've cut back on....sold some stuff then always regretted it when something sparked an interest back up. I'd say if you don't need the money think long and hard about it. I'm surely brewing less, but bigger volumes. Really having fun splitting things up so I net 2 or 3 different beers with more or less the same amount of work. A while back I brewed 20 gallons of a Wit recipe. I used the recirculation port on the BK and plate chiller to knock the entire 20G down to 190 then ran 10 gallons off to a fermenter. Next I put about 8-10 ounces of various hops in from 190* down to 160*. Ran the remaining 10G into a different fermenter. The original 10G of Wit got Wit yeast while the late hopped 10G got 1056 and much to my delight was a crowd favorite light and hoppy wheat beer. Two totally different beers one brew session. I'll never be able to recreate that 2nd beer and I just fine with that, even happy to know it was a one off never to be seen again. Maybe try something different to make brewing fun again. Also make lighter beers. I've gotten away from IIPAs and RIS types. Made a 1.040-something stout and have really been digging the dark and bitter chocolate flavors in a lighter/thinner overall beer. You guys know I bike a lot. I've gotten in the habit of telling myself I can't have a beer on a given day if I have not exercised. Seems to motivate me to work out and drink only when earned. A true symbiotic relationship. :shock:

Drew don't sell my 2 kegs :wink:
rplace

Postby tookalisten » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Oh, I never intend to quit; I am just brewing more 5 gallon batches these days rather than 10 gallons.
Though, I did need that pep talk. I have the grains weighed out now to do 15 gallons at some point; just got to find the time to jump on it. Now that it is getting cooler, I will be more motivated rather than cutting grass on Saturdays.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:38 am

tookalisten wrote:Oh, I never intend to quit;...

Glad to hear that AA is for quitters :D
rplace

Postby Brewtime » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 am

I do have three kits I need to brew. Another online shop has deals every once and awhile where they sell AG kits for 20 bucks. I kind of got back into playing golf now that the kids are grown and the oldest is learning to drive. when it comes down to it i prefer chasing the little white ball around.

Rich,

What are theses kegs you speak of.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:03 am

From the barrel beer that did not turn out. It was like a million years ago. I met you for lunch and gave you beer in two kegs for the barrel; then the barrel went south. I never got the kegs back from you. I don't really need them back, I've got plenty - and not brewing that much....like all of us it sounds. But if you were going to sell off all your stuff I'd make some effort to meet up with you to reclaim. Don't give it a second thought unless you truly liquidate.
rplace

Postby Brewtime » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 am

rplace wrote:From the barrel beer that did not turn out. It was like a million years ago. I met you for lunch and gave you beer in two kegs for the barrel; then the barrel went south. I never got the kegs back from you. I don't really need them back, I've got plenty - and not brewing that much....like all of us it sounds. But if you were going to sell off all your stuff I'd make some effort to meet up with you to reclaim. Don't give it a second thought unless you truly liquidate.

I know Just yanking your chain. They are clean and have been rebuilt and sitting in a corner. I wont sell my stuff got too much invested in it.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 am

Brewtime wrote:I know Just yanking your chain. They are clean and have been rebuilt and sitting in a corner. I wont sell my stuff got too much invested in it.

Ha! I thought you were getting dementia on me :wink: You got me there. Almost as good as the old Rick Roll days. I truly think Facebook ruined the Internet. I long for the MoreBeer forum days circa 2005-ish. What do the remaining two of you loyalists think? I hate to say it but I miss Nate too (don't tell him). :(

Glad to hear you are not selling. Have fun chasing the white ball. But you can't golf in January can you? I see October to March as brew-season the rest of the year biking season. You should be golfing when I'm riding.
rplace

Postby Brewtime » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am

Golfseason runs March through November. If it is warm enough uper 40's and the sun is out I will play. Last winter was so mild I played at least two rounds per month. I joined Turf Valley so going to play is easy, I plan on firing things up this month. and have been toying with entering Comps just to get feed back. Nate is busy with his and Speeds Brewery in Broken Bow.
Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 am

Yea, I was keeping up with Nate via email for a bit. I had minor talks with a local Chef/Restaurant guy about a brewery. I was picking Nate's brain about the company he used for the brewery and size sort of tings. Things seemed to really take off for him and Speed. I'm super happy for them. Bummed that the way the Big 10 set things up that UofM does not get a chance to beat Nebraska all that often.

You me and Took will have to have our own comp. Guaranteed to finish in the top 3 :wink:
rplace

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm

rplace wrote:You me and Took will have to have our own comp. Guaranteed to finish in the top 3 :wink:

I'm still here... Adjusting to a new job and working 10+ hour shifts. Once I get set, then I'll be back to brewing on a regular basis. Hopefully I'll be brewing as soon as the 90-100+ temps stop!
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:10 am

Good to see some activity here. I banned 3 spammers a few days ago and was exited to see the posts - that is sad.

I often think about the old-timers that used to post so much here and wonder what happened to them all.
I will be brewing Sunday morning - I've got some Citra hops that need a liquid home..

It is getting back to golf season for me as well. I actually play more in the Fall/early winter than I do in the summer. Picked up a new Callaway Driver from one of their last season's model sales. Gotta see how far I can hit one in the woods with that one!
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby CA_Mouse » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

I've been here, just not seeing much activity lately. Warehousing makes my body wish it was young again!

I've got an IIPA, a Milk Stout and a Cider to make for the holidays, I, also, have 3 sours that I need to bottle and carb, as well as 5 meads that need to be bottled.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 am

Pale ale mashed in. Got some random hops to use up - Mt Hood to bitter, Sterling around 15 min, and then have 2 oz of Citra at flameout.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby rplace » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

tookalisten wrote:Pale ale mashed in. Got some random hops to use up - Mt Hood to bitter, Sterling around 15 min, and then have 2 oz of Citra at flameout.

Sounds delicious.
rplace

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related