metabisulphite or campden tablets

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

metabisulphite or campden tablets

Postby ynot » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:15 am

The wine kit that I made says to add potassium metabisulphite if you are going to age longer than six months.

Can I use campden tablets?

I dont have potassium metabisulphite but I do have some campden tablets.

If so do I use 1 tablet per gallon?

Have a good one
ynot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby johnsma22 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:29 am

Camden tablets are just a convenient form of potassium metabisulfite. One tablet per gallon is the recommended amount and will yield 150 ppm of sulfur dioxide.

You will have to crush the tablets first before you add them. I put them in a paper plate and roll a large coffee cup over them to crush them. Add the powder to your carboy and just throw the plate away. Done.

John
johnsma22
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby ynot » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 pm

I thought campden tablets where Sodium Metabisulphite??

I guess it does not mater right?

One has Sodium and the other has potassium.

If it does mater when would one or the other be appropriate?

thanks for the help
ynot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby johnsma22 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:30 pm

I just read another post from Denny who stated that Camden tablets come in both Sodium Metabisulfite and Potassium Metabisulfite. I was unaware of this as the Camden tablets that I have are Potassium Metabisulfite.

I have read that most wine makers avoid using the Sodium Metabisulfite because it contains the sodium ion, which can leave a salty taste in the wine. I think the reason some people use the sodium stuff is because it is cheaper. If I'm wrong I'm sure that someone will correct me.

If your wine kit calls for Potassium Metabisulfite, then make sure that is what type of Camden tablets that you have.

John
johnsma22
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby ynot » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:51 pm

the tablets I have only say contains 55% sulphur dioxide.

I am not sure what they are not because all the package says is campden tablets.

I dont think I will use them.

anyway next time i will be more prepaired i guess.

thanks for the help.

if I make more wine I will get a book.

have a good one
ynot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby johnplctech » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:46 am

My campden tabs are Sodium Bisulfate... Now there is three kinds...

BTW if you sweeten your wine be sure to add potassium sorbate to prevent further fermentation (exploding wine bottles)...

John
johnplctech
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby tristan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 am

Campden tablets can come in either Sodium or Potassium form, and both are safe for use in all wines. If you're on a low sodium diet or have a notably sensitive taste for salt, try to use the potassium.

Sodium metabisulfite tablets yield 75ppm of metabisulfite per gallon of wine.

Once in the wine the "metabisulfite" part of the tablet becomes SO2 (sulfur dioxide) gas dissolved in the liquid. Only about 55% of the powder from the tablet becomes SO2, hence the label on the package.

The tablets you have are perfectly safe to use. Some people use the metabisulfite powder instead of the tablets if they have a way to measure it out. It keeps them from having to grind up the tablet.
tristan

sodium metabisulfite

Postby lelani41 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:22 pm

You are talking about Potassium or Sodium Metabisulfite; I just started my first batch of wine and was told to use the Sodium Metabisulfite mixed in water as a sterilizer for all of my equipment. Am I using the wrong thing as a sterilizer?

:?
lelani41
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tristan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:10 pm

Lelani41 -

Many people use a combo of Metabisulfite powder and citric acid as a sanitizer for winemaking. This is a pretty age-old practice, and for the most part is fine. Here at MoreWine! we recommend the use of StarSan for a couple of reasons, but ultimately the decision - as always - rests with you.

We avoid using Metabislufite as a sanitizer because the 10% solution of sulfite that is generally recommended for sanitizing is about 2000x the usual concentration of sulfite in your wine. Most texts recommend rinsing this solution off of the equipment that you have just sanitized, but as you can imagine unless you are using pre-boiled water for this rinse you are really just re-introducing bacteria to a surface that you just took the time to clean. Not rinsing the solution off of the equipment will lead to very high sulfite levels in your must or wine, which can lead to fermentation and ML problems as well as impart an off flavor to your wine. Additionally, strong sulfite solutions are a bit rough on the skin and lungs. Finally, citric acid - which is used to increase the effectiveness of the Metabisulfite powder - is a direct precursor to acetic acid and if not removed can help lead to the vinegaring of a wine. So we try to keep citric out of the winery as well.

We use StarSan as our general use sanitizer because it is a safe, easy alternative that carries no risks. StarSan can be used to sanitize all of your equipment, as well as yourself, with no risk to your health or the health of the wine. Also, it does not need to be rinsed off. So that's our $0.02, but like everything else in winemaking there's no 100% right answer - so do what feels right to you.

Tristan
Fermenting: Nada
In ML: 2006 Brehm Vineyards Malbec
In Oak: 2005 Brehm Vineyards Petit Syrah
In the Fridge: VR Cardonnay, Special Changes
Firestone Clone
On Deck: Belgian Pale
Altbier
Commercial Wine Production
tristan

My 2 cents on K2S2O5 (Potassium Metabisulfite)

Postby MountainWineGuy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:29 am

I prefer to use powder Potassium Metabisulfite - comments about the sodium version are mixed - I hear the same thing, makes your wine taste like salt (geesh - you would have to add a HECKUVALOT) or it makes sodium sensitive people (heart patients) have problems. I AM NOT A PHYSICIAN, I cannot comment on the last part. But really, if you can taste the sodium, you have bigger problems.

The nice thing about using bulk potassium metabisulfite is you can control how much you wind up using. Remember, we are simply sanitizing, NOT sterilizing your gear and you wine. Sterlization would require autoclave-like temperatures.

Another thing, if you are even remotely thinking about malolactic fermentation, you need to keep your SO2 down to promote the ML.

REMEMBER - 100 grams of potassium metabisulfite does NOT yield 100 grams of sulfur dioxide.

1gram of potaasium metabisulfite yields about .67grams of SO2.

If you are interested in calculating what you really need to dose your wine please let me know. I have most of the math down and procedures you can use to come up with the right amount of SO2 in your wine.

There is nothing worse than opening up a bottle and have it outgas all of that SO2 right into your sniffer so you cannot even taste what things should be.

Chris[/b]
MountainWineGuy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: metabisulphite or campden tablets

Postby TheWineBrewer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 pm

Hey I got a great video on replacing Campden tablets with potassium metabisulfite solution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CayBv64erfs
TheWineBrewer
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related