Introductions

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Introductions

Postby tristan » Wed May 23, 2007 1:25 pm

Hello to all the dedicated brewers and winemakers who are hanging around these forums and sharing ideas about home fermentation.

My name is Tristan Johnson, and I am the Home Winemaking manager at MoreFlavor. I've actually been with MoreFlavor for just over 3 years now, having started way back when as a Customer Service Rep and stuck with it. I've always been wine-focused, even back when I was just learning what "racking" meant, and I've spent the last 2 1/2 years taking classes and working hard on my own to learn as much as possible about winemaking.

In August of 2006 the Home Winemaking division of our company was placed on my desk. I'm more than willing to admit that it has taken me fully 6 months plus to get the job nailed down, and I'm still learning all the time. But as I'm better and better able to handle the demands, I'm finding that I have more time free to be available to my customers directly - so here I am.

I'm really hoping that this forum stays predominantly user-driven, which is to say that I'm not here to act as a "final answer" on any topic. Instead, I'd rather be the guy who's standing quietly in the corner - I'll chime in if I think that I have something fresh to offer, or if I think a point needs some clarification, but you guys probably won't see me in every thread - or even most threads. That said, if the forum has a question for me, just let me know.

Finally, I'm keeping this post up as a sticky so that new users and new winemakers can introduce themselves to the group. If you're new to the hobby, or just new to wine itself, take a moment to say hello and tell us all a little bit about yourself.

Thanks for reading, and Good Winemaking!!

Tristan
Fermenting: Nada
In ML: 2006 Brehm Vineyards Malbec
In Oak: 2005 Brehm Vineyards Petit Syrah
In the Fridge: VR Cardonnay, Special Changes
Firestone Clone
On Deck: Belgian Pale
Altbier
Commercial Wine Production
tristan

Postby Lee Theuriet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:44 am

My name is Lee Theuriet and I live in a great red wine growing area, Lodi California. I'm new to winemaking, but not new to fermentation science. I've been brewing beer since 1971, usually a 7 gallon batch every 3 weeks, all grain for the last 6 years.

I just initiated my first batch of Cabernet Sauvignon from grapes crushed on the skins Tuesday. I'm doing 6 gallons in a More Beer bucket covered with cheesecloth. Yesterday I started punching the cap. What great fun.

The ferment is being carried out in my shed, very well insulated, and has been 80o steady. Now the weather here has gotten cooler, and the ambient temp in the shed has dropped to 70o. Hopefully, the temp will increase in the next few days, or I might have to introduce a heater to the invironment.

I'm getting fruit flies...probably normal...good thing I covered the bucket with cheesecloth...any comments dealing with the flies?

I'll be watching this forum now, hoping to glean as much from you guys as I can...just like I do over on the beer forum. Thanks for everything.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Introductions

Postby susanspy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 am

hello all,

SUSAN HERE, i have been having red wine from years and would like o upgrade to may be white wine do yu think this s a good option.

cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
susanspy
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed May 06, 2009 11:05 am

Hi Tristan,

Good to have you join the forum. The beer side of this forum is huge but the wine side has been a little light, so having someone who can help answer some of the questions on the wine board will be great.

I've been brewing beer for a few years now, and I've been all-grain for a little over a year. My enjoyment of that hobby has led me to branch out into mead and winemaking as well over the past year. I've got a couple of wine kits under my belt now, but I'm still very much a beginner. I've made a port and a couple of white wines from kits and have been fairly happy with both experiences. I just ordered a couple of high-end red wine kits in order to try that. I started with whites because I knew I wouldn't have the patience to wait for a red to age appropriately before trying it... and with how much my wife and I enjoy our wine I didn't want to be horribly disappointed by trying wines that were not nearly ready. We were happy with the whites I've made so far, so I'm looking forward to making the reds and laying them down for a couple years before enjoying them.

Living down in Long Beach, CA, I doubt I'll be making wine from grapes anytime soon. It sounds like fun, but sourcing the fruit down here would probably be pretty hard. I'll figure that out sometime, though, I'm sure. It just looks like too much fun not to try. :)

TheTooth
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Roc-Craven » Wed May 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Wow, resurrected after almost 2 years. :)
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Those who can, do. Those who cant, Hire someone else to do and then take credit for it. -- Jon Sheldon
Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed May 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Doh! I didn't notice the dates. I saw it listed in recent posts and responded. :oops: :lol:
thetooth

Postby Roc-Craven » Wed May 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Thats the only thing I'm good for, pointy out the obvious. :lol:
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Those who can, do. Those who cant, Hire someone else to do and then take credit for it. -- Jon Sheldon
Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Wed May 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi .. I am Richard From San Jose California. I am 6' 2" and 265 pounds. MY hair hair is turning white, My necks always been red , my collar's still blue . I usually drink red beer , but am thinking of switching to red wine ... Is Gallo a good choice ?
Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed May 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Mr. Wonderful wrote:Hi .. I am Richard From San Jose California. I am 6' 2" and 265 pounds. MY hair hair is turning white, My necks always been red , my collar's still blue . I usually drink red beer , but am thinking of switching to red wine ... Is Gallo a good choice ?

Do you like long walks on the beach and pina coladas in the rain? :lol:
thetooth

Postby Roc-Craven » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

Wow :shock: I just got a reply email from this thread. I guess the server is a bit slow.
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm

no a spammer posted on the thread so i deleted it.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby Roc-Craven » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I see, good job. :wink:
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 am

Resurrection.

First time wine maker, I just bought a wine kit the other day, German Gewurztraminer wine, 6 gallons fermenting in a bucket. I have another three steps and six weeks to go. Got a 1.090 starting, expect a .998 ending. I got some nice wine bottles, shrink sleeves, labels yet to be designed.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Update, the wine finished off at .996, got the batch bottled, corked, sleeved, & labeled. Most important thing, the wine is fantastic, so good that I will now make another batch, a Pinot Noir.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Return to General Wine Related