When to add lysozyme?

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

When to add lysozyme?

Postby AxisOfBeagles » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 pm

I am ready to stabilize this season's Viognier, and am trying Lysozyme for the first time to inhibit MLF.
Should I add Lysozyme before fining and cold stabilization - or does it even matter?
:?:
AxisOfBeagles
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Jrock » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:54 pm

Hello there Mr. Beagles (AW here). Lysozyme is used to inhibit MLF if added in the proper dosage. It can be used to delay MLF as well. I have a pdf document from Presque Isle Wines that gives the proper dosage. It does not state when to add it. I have used it before and have always added it right after the primary fermentation to prevent any chance of MLF from occuring. I don't know if a document can be attached to a reply. I can email it to you if you want to review it.

A note of caution, add it very slowly. The first time I added some to a 5 gallon carboy I just poured it in. The reaction was like a volcano and I had some loss of wine as it poured out of the carboy.

I mix up a 10% solution. Here is how Presque Isle told me to make up the solution.

If with 1.5g lysozyme/gallon of must and you want to know how much water to use to make a 10% solution of lysozyme and water to add to the must here is the formula: grams of lysozyme to inoculate must X 9 = grams of water needed to make a 10% solution. Example: 100 gallons must, dosage 1.5g/gal lysozyme. 100x1.5=150 grams lysozyme; 150x9=1350g water. Water weights 1 gram/ml so 1350 g=1350 ml or 1.35 liters. 1.35/3.785=.357 gallon. .357x128=45.7 oz. or 5.7 cups of water. So 100 gal. must dosed at 1.5g/gal lysozyme would need a solution of 5.7cups warm water and 150 grams lysozyme.
Jrock
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby AxisOfBeagles » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Jrock wrote:A note of caution, add it very slowly. The first time I added some to a 5 gallon carboy I just poured it in. The reaction was like a volcano and I had some loss of wine as it poured out of the carboy.

Hey there AW - this is perfect, thanks. I figure I'll Lysozyme first, then stabilize per usual protocol. And your dosage data is all I need - thanks much.

Volcano, eh? Sounds exciting! I've got a little about 18 gals of the Viognier to dose, so I'll be very careful!

:shock:
Fermenting:
200 lbs Cabernet Franc
Currently underway:
20 gals '06 Syrah
20 gals '06 Zinfandel
18 gals '07 Viognier
30 gals '07 Cabernet Sauvignon
36 gals '07 Merlot
AxisOfBeagles
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Crazy Run Ranch » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:55 am

I guess there are many ways to get to the same end result. I usually find the metric units to be easier to work with.
The dosage to inhibit malo is 50g/hL per Lallemand's website. Lysozyme is on page 18 of this doc - http://www.lallemandwine.com/IMG/pdf_Ca ... FtA4-2.pdf
There is also a liquid form that can be added directly to your wine, I have used this one. If you are not familiar using metric dosages:
100 gal. x 3.78 = 378L or 3.78hL
3.78hL x 50g/hL = 189 g of lysozyme
You will need to bentonite fine before bottling to clear out the lysozyme.
Have you considered putting part of the wine thru ML? I'm guessing you have several carboys and treating one different wouldn't be difficult. It would be interesting to taste the difference and possibly blend back with the others (of course you would want to lysozyme after ML prior to adding back to the blend). Of course, your acidity levels may be driving the no-ML decision. If you are avoiding the "popcorn butter" flavors of bad Chardonnay, try an ML bacteria low in diacetyl production. I should say that I have never made Viognier so if your experience is guiding you, stay the course. My thoughts come from Rose's where I tried both ways. ML wine was way better, rounder flavors and better mouthfeel.
Crazy Run Ranch
Crazy Run Ranch
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby AxisOfBeagles » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Great suggestion amigo. No, it wasn't acidity that caused me to avoid MLF - it is a desire to preserve the 'crisp' acidity of the wine as it is. But I really like your suggestion. The wine was previously in a 15 gallon keg plus a carboy, but is right now in 4 separate carboys - so your suggestion of trying one with MLF (or partial MLF) would have worked - had I thought of it prior to adding the lysozyme!

Thanks again - look forward to more of your posts.
AxisOfBeagles
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: When to add lysozyme?

Postby ppaluszewski » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Just a word of caution with Lysozyme. Do not add SO2 and Lysozyme simultaneously. Wait a day or two between each addition. Don't thin it matters which comes first, but I add the Lysozyme first. Also, before treating with Bentonite, be sure that you give the Lysozyme a week or so to do its job. SO2 and Bentonite (added simultaneously) will render the Lysozyme ineffective.
ppaluszewski
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related