Film on Carboy neck

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Film on Carboy neck

Postby Gerardvs » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 pm

My wine is undergoing maloactic fermentation in carboys. A white-ish light film or sediment is developing on the carboy neck above the wine, but no film or sediment appears to be floating on the wine. After weekly stirring of lees, i am spraying a mist of everclear on wine to discourage acetobactor, which washes away the film on the glass - but it still comes back within a week. Cannot smell any rotten egg smell, though wine smells a bit musty - but not too much, so smell may be normal. Should i be worried? and if so, what to do??

(Added 40ppm sulphite before primary fermenation but nothing else yet. The film in neck also showed up last year during MLF, but not in years before. Last year was first year i did a cold soak prior to primary fermentation - did cold soak again this year.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Gerardvs
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Film on Carboy neck

Postby ppaluszewski » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Could be lipids. I've seen them show up during most of my malos also. I wouldn't worry about it. Some kit manufacturers such as Cellar Craft International are including enzymes such as Vinoflow FCE with their premium kits in an effort to reduce these.
ppaluszewski
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby redgee34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:01 am

I'm new to making wine and have a question about fermentation. I made a Cellar classic chianti kit and it has fermenting for two weeks. The SG is .971. My question is what should it taste like at this point? I'm concerned as it has a very chemical taste. Thanks.
We offer guaranteed success for learn a language.com learn korean exam with help of latest certification http://learnalanguage.com and practice questions and the exams of French Yabla ccie security German.about
redgee34
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:08 am

redgee34 wrote:I'm new to making wine and have a question about fermentation. I made a Cellar classic chianti kit and it has fermenting for two weeks. The SG is .971. My question is what should it taste like at this point? I'm concerned as it has a very chemical taste. Thanks.

With only 2 weeks in; I would let it go another 2 weeks at least; then check back.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to General Wine Related