Degassing... why?

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Degassing... why?

Postby thetooth » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:49 pm

I noticed that my wine kit instructions tell me to degass at various stages. I have done as the instructions have said, but I'm wondering why this is necessary.

I ask because I plan on bottling my wine this weekend and the instructions don't say to degass again before bottling, but if it's important enough to do while racking to a secondary, might I want to do it before bottling?
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Degassing... why?

Postby Bacchus » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:03 am

I've read that degassing before bottling is very important - be sure to flush with CO2 to avoid oxidation. which seems contrary to what your doing...

I've had bottles that felt "sparkly" on the tongue. I'm assuming degassing would of helped.

I've also found this:
During fermentation yeast eats sugar producing alcohol, carbon dioxide (CO2) and wine flavors. While most of the CO2 is released through the airlock during fermentation, some of it remains suspended in the fermented product. In beer, this is a good thing, and the beginning of carbonation. In wine however, elimination the trapped CO2 from the finished wine prior to bottling is an important step. CO2 remaining in the wine after bottling imparts a bitterness to the wine, gives a spritz to a wine as it is poured and great concentrations of CO2 can actually force the cork back out of the bottle. Gradual elimination of suspended CO2 in finished bottles of wine is an important part of the aging process.

It is for these reasons that wine kits routinely call for repeated stirring of the wine in the days before bottling. This agitation helps drive out suspended CO2. The better this is accomplished, the better the resulting wine. This is not only the case for wine kits, but just as important for wines made from concentrates and fresh fruit and berries.
Bacchus
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby thetooth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 am

Wow... I had completely forgotten about this post. Thanks for the answer anyway. :lol:
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby blairholand » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Great answer to this post. Thanks for the good information
:D
Bacchus wrote:I've read that degassing before bottling is very important - be sure to flush with CO2 to avoid oxidation. which seems contrary to what your doing...

I've had bottles that felt "sparkly" on the tongue. I'm assuming degassing would of helped.

I've also found this:
During fermentation yeast eats sugar producing alcohol, carbon dioxide (CO2) and wine flavors. While most of the CO2 is released through the airlock during fermentation, some of it remains suspended in the fermented product. In beer, this is a good thing, and the beginning of carbonation. In wine however, elimination the trapped CO2 from the finished wine prior to bottling is an important step. CO2 remaining in the wine after bottling imparts a bitterness to the wine, gives a spritz to a wine as it is poured and great concentrations of CO2 can actually force the cork back out of the bottle. Gradual elimination of suspended CO2 in finished bottles of wine is an important part of the aging process.

It is for these reasons that wine kits routinely call for repeated stirring of the wine in the days before bottling. This agitation helps drive out suspended CO2. The better this is accomplished, the better the resulting wine. This is not only the case for wine kits, but just as important for wines made from concentrates and fresh fruit and berries.
I love to talk write and make wine. Please join me at http://winowinemaking.com
blairholand
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby ol'timer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 am

blairholand wrote:Great answer to this post. Thanks for the good information
:D
Bacchus wrote:I've read that degassing before bottling is very important - be sure to flush with CO2 to avoid oxidation. which seems contrary to what your doing...

I've also found this:

What are you useing to degas your wine? hand stiring? drill with paddle? Pump Vac?I make my wine from fruit and concentrates,whats the best way to degas?
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 am

A drill with a degassing paddle. Worth every penny.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to General Wine Related