I've created a monster

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

I've created a monster

Postby lannan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:37 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end of september I started my muscadine wine. Starting gravity- 1.120
Present gravity- .990 and still fermenting! :mrgreen:

I wonder how low it will go? Its already at 17%!!

6 gallon

24# muscadine (golden green)
2# sugar per gallon
yeast nutrient
montrachet and champagine yeast (wasnt sure if one would be enough and only had those two packs)
Back Nine Brew&Wine
lannan
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: I've created a monster

Postby docmckee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02 am

Without have a good idea of how much sugar those muscadines had, there is no way to figure out your terminal gravity in advance. My guess is with two highly attenuating yeast strains in there, you will end up with a VERY dry product. My guess is that with a gravity below 1.00, you will end fermentation soon. Don’t let gas trapped in the wine fool you, if you get the same gravity reading for 3 days in a row, you are just bleeding off gas. You may want to consider stabilizing and sweetening it a bit to taste. Most of the country recipes I’ve sampled didn’t have nearly that good of an attenuation, and the expectation is for a rather sweet beverage.
Regards,

Doc
Janitor, http://www.thezymurgyguide.com

Caveat: The above post is likely the product of homebrew fueled wild speculation and most likely has no basis in fact.
docmckee
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related