High pH

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

High pH

Postby jkojak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:49 pm

I have a high TA (8.5) and high pH (3.65) Cab in the early stages of MLF. Most likely the TA will drop 0.5 - 1.0 g/L after MLF is done. I will have to add Potassium carbonate to drop the acid to a palatable level. Having said that the pH is going to increase even more. According to "Daniel Pambianchi " in his book "Techniques in Home Winemaking: The Comprehensive Guide to Making Chateau-Style" one of the options to decrease pH is to add phosphoric acid (30%) at a rate of 1-2 drops per litter of wine. But, he also warns that it should be the last resort to use phosphoric acid for it changes the texture and the taste of the wine. The question is: has anyone used phosphoric acid in this situation? Did it alter the wine adversely? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Jamie
jkojak
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: High pH

Postby jclorden » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 am

better to post in the wine section then the beer section...
Jims

ON TAP:

Munich Helles
Oktoberfest

Fermenting:
Weisbeir
jclorden
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: High pH

Postby ppaluszewski » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm

OK - I'm a bit confused. If you have a high TA (8.5 g/l seems high for a red), then pH should be low. Depending on the type and quantity of acid present, maybe something in the 3.2 pH range, as a guess. Before you make any additions, you may want to re-check the numbers. If you decide that an acid addition is ever necessary, I would recommend doing so with tartaric acid. Avoid citric acid at all times as this may lead to production of Volatile Acids (such as acetic acid - a.k.a. vinegar). You're correct, a MLF will increase pH a bit.
ppaluszewski
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related