new to wine. fermentation question

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

new to wine. fermentation question

Postby bluelou6 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:01 am

Hi All,

I'm new to making wine and have a question about fermentation. I made a Cellar classic chianti kit and it has fermenting for two weeks. The SG is .971. My question is what should it taste like at this point? I'm concerned as it has a very chemical taste. Thanks.
bluelou6
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: new to wine. fermentation question

Postby pclemon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 am

bluelou6 wrote:Hi All,

I'm new to making wine and have a question about fermentation. I made a Cellar classic chianti kit and it has fermenting for two weeks. The SG is .971. My question is what should it taste like at this point? I'm concerned as it has a very chemical taste. Thanks.

It should taste like wine - but very rough wine. Have you racked it off and added the sulfites, sorbate, and de-gassed yet?
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby thetooth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:35 am

I can't say exactly what you are tasting or what the chianti should taste like at this stage... but I can say that it won't taste very good. You'll need to let most reds age for at least 6 months before they will resemble a wine you'd want to drink. A year or two is even better.
thetooth

Postby bluelou6 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

not yet. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow. If it were beer, I'd would be concerned about an infection, or too much chlorine in my water. I'm not sure what to expect with wine and can't pin point the flavor.
bluelou6
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 am

bluelou6 wrote:not yet. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow. If it were beer, I'd would be concerned about an infection, or too much chlorine in my water. I'm not sure what to expect with wine and can't pin point the flavor.

The advice I would have is to proceed as normal. If there is an infection or too much chlorine, there's nothing you can do about it at this point. As already stated, reds take a bit of ageing before they resemble anything you're going to want to drink. I would NOT throw it out based on the way it tastes after 2 weeks.
Pete
pclemon

Postby BrewBum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 am

I just served some kit wines there ranged in age from 4-6 years old. They were a huge hit and I had people wanting to buy them, the problem, they were my last bottles of those wines.

Kit wine should not be drank for at least a year in my opinion if you are doing a red and it will taste very chemical like early on.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby bluelou6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm

thanks for the info. I racked today and added the sulfites, sorbate, and de-gassed. At this point, it tastes like rough red wine just like you said.
bluelou6
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related