fortifying a port kit

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fortifying a port kit

Postby Billy Klubb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 am

I just got my 5.3 gallon oak barrel & want to age a few port kits before I age beer in it. my LHBS has a few port kits I want to ferment and fortify in the barrel. from what I understand, brandy or cognac is commonly used for this. rather than looking up on the webs, I'd rather take advice from my brewing colleagues here on amounts per gallon fermented wine. so, how much brandy/cognac per gallon?
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: fortifying a port kit

Postby usmcruz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:40 am

Id go with a fine cognac over a brandy anyday.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:24 pm

usmcruz wrote:Id go with a fine cognac over a brandy anyday.

you missed the important question: how much per gallon wine?
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Billy Klubb wrote:you missed the important question: how much per gallon wine?

Why would you add it to a wine, drink it straight! :lol:
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 am

usmcruz wrote:
Billy Klubb wrote:you missed the important question: how much per gallon wine?

Why would you add it to a wine, drink it straight! :lol:

hahahaaha!!! you're a goober! and I do plan on using a nice cognac instead of brandy.

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 am

You are both aware that Cognac is a brandy made in the Cognac region, aren't you?
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Re: fortifying a port kit

Postby usmcruz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am

fossilsrocks wrote:You are both aware that Cognac is a brandy made in the Cognac region, aren't you?

No i didnt. Brandy and cognac tastes are like night and day. Ive never tasted a brandy that tasted remotely like a yak. I really didnt know that tid bit though thanks scott.
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:20 am

Good brandy can be exquisite whether it is made in the Cognac region or elsewhere. Cheap brandy is, well, cheap tasting.

For fortifying a port kit, I would likely use 190 proof grain alcohol. That would least affect the port flavor. As for how much? That I would do by adding and tasting.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby usmcruz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:48 pm

fossilsrocks wrote: I would likely use 190 proof grain alcohol.

Alright, you gonna be their for billy in court when he tries to explain to the judge that it wasnt his fault that he went streaking, that it was the jungle juice port he made! :P
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

fossilsrocks wrote:You are both aware that Cognac is a brandy made in the Cognac region, aren't you?

yes, I am aware. 8)

fossilsrocks wrote:Good brandy can be exquisite whether it is made in the Cognac region or elsewhere. Cheap brandy is, well, cheap tasting.

I love good cognac & brandy, cognac more so. those are flavors I want to impart, not boosting the ABV. I'll do like I did with my bourbon stout and add to taste. thanks for your input!

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 am

I saw a special on port (Thirsty Traveler, maybe?), and they used pretty highly distilled grappa to fortify it. Grappa is distilled from the grape skins, seeds, & leftovers from wine making. My thoughts behind the grain alcohol were that it was a pretty neutral fortifying addition that maintains the "Port" character better than cognac. However, I like Cognac (And other good quality Brandy) and would think that cognac & port flavors would complement each other. 8)
Scott

fossilsrocks

Postby thetooth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 am

I've added cognac to a port and was really happy with the results. Unfortunately, I don't know where my notes are. I remember searching the internet for quite a while trying to find guidance as to how much to add and finally found some stuff. I think I remember adding a bottle and a half to a 3 gallon batch of port. I'll try to find my notes, though, and get you the actual amount I added.
thetooth

Postby Billy Klubb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm

you guys are awesome!thank you for your help!

Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to General Wine Related