Question about young wine

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Question about young wine

Postby Mikesterbrau » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 am

Hello all,

I've just done my first batch of wine after being a beer brewer for a couple of years. My first is an RJ Spagnols Merlot kit. The primary fermentation is done, everything looks fine in terms of the gravity numbers, and the next step according to the instructions is to bottle and age for 3-4 months.

When I tasted some of the wine from the racking tube, it hit with a strong characteristic Merlot flavor. However, as the flavor developed, it brought out a very strong grape-juice element, almost like I had some Welch's mixed in the batch.

Is that normal for young wine or do I need to correct something in my process?
Mikesterbrau
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Re: Question about young wine

Postby usmcruz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:36 am

Mikesterbrau wrote:Hello all,

I've just done my first batch of wine after being a beer brewer for a couple of years. My first is an RJ Spagnols Merlot kit. The primary fermentation is done, everything looks fine in terms of the gravity numbers, and the next step according to the instructions is to bottle and age for 3-4 months.

When I tasted some of the wine from the racking tube, it hit with a strong characteristic Merlot flavor. However, as the flavor developed, it brought out a very strong grape-juice element, almost like I had some Welch's mixed in the batch.

Is that normal for young wine or do I need to correct something in my process?

Thats just what that kit tastes like, their is nothing wrong with it.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Question about young wine

Postby Mikesterbrau » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

On the one hand, it's comforting that I haven't done something wrong. On the other hand.. does that strong fruit flavor mellow with aging? Is that just what you get with a pre-made kit in general or is it particular to this brand?
Mikesterbrau
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Mikesterbrau wrote:On the one hand, it's comforting that I haven't done something wrong. On the other hand.. does that strong fruit flavor mellow with aging? Is that just what you get with a pre-made kit in general or is it particular to this brand?

Most red wine kits I have made mellow a lot with age. I have made some kits that were very comparable to purchased wine. I have not had good luck with Merlot however, they always seem a little sweet to me. If there is oak in there that might help, if not, you might add some.

Age at least a year to 2 before fully developed on red wine kits.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby usmcruz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

BrewBum wrote:Age at least a year to 2 before fully developed on red wine kits.

+1

But the french sauvignon kit is the exception. That red is really mellow for a sauvignon, and can be drank right away. I think the make of that kit is RJ Spagnols.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to General Wine Related