Newbie question

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Newbie question

Postby giniw » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:47 am

I am attempting wine from my grapes, have crushed and de-stemmed and want to measure Ph. I got a PH test kit from my local home brewing place (where no one has ever made wine themselves..). I took a sample of must, put it in a blender, strained and filtered and have a dark red liquid. hen I put the test strip into the liquid for 1-2 seconds and remove, the strip is dark red- the color of the liquid. It never changes to another color. What am I doing wrong???
giniw
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Newbie question

Postby justinjames » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:19 pm

lol - i dont think you did anything wrong. I have made a lot of wine in the past but never bothered to check the ph (i do in beer though)... anyway I'm guessing that perhaps the wine stains the strips? I know it stained a rug of mine really well a few years back!
justinjames
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby blairholand » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 pm

THis is the reason why most wine makers use a Ph meter. Using Papers the wine discolors them making them hard to read.
I love to talk write and make wine. Please join me at http://winowinemaking.com
blairholand
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby kak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:25 pm

We've tried the test strips several times and they don't seem to work. We finally broke down and bought a pH meter, which tracks almost identically to the lab results, when compared.
kak
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related