Apple wine Question.

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Apple wine Question.

Postby ol'timer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I started Apple wine 3 mo. ago. racked after 14 days in Primary.Have racked again is clearing nice,but it has very little Apple flavor,has high end Alcohol to the taste.Did I put to much sugar in to get the strong alcohol? I used a EC-1122 yeast.maybe I should have used EC-1116 or EC-1118.I quess my question is should I have mixed some other juice with the Apple?I put raisins,oak chips in the primary.
i have made red grape,concord grape,pear,Peach,mango,Blueberry,Pomagranate,Mixed fruit,white grape,Blackberry,Cranberry,....they came out good so far.but Apple iam not sure I will make any more of it.
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Apple wine Question.

Postby dmtaylor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:57 pm

You might have added too much sugar, but my guess is you might have used relatively bland apple juice. What was the source of your juice? If it was fresh pressed juice from an orchard, I would expect pretty good results. If you used store-bought juice, which is often made of watered down concentrate, this could be a problem. But even fresh orchard juice could turn out bland, depending what sort of apples were pressed. If only bland sweet apples were used, the final cider could be sort of lackluster. I like to add lots of traditional and/or exotic apples, including some that are more tart and astringent and aromatic. I mean, if you were to use 100% Red Delicious apples, it could make for a relatively boring cider. There's some aromatic qualities, but these apples are pretty darn bland. Nothing wrong with using 50 or 60% Red Delicious, but it's good to have some crabapples or Granny Smith or other random apples in the blend as well to improve complexity. If you don't know what apples were in your juice, there's not much you can do but try a different brand next time.

Regardless.... The following should be an easy way to improve flavor. You probably need to backsweeten your apple wine with something at the end of fermentation, right? Why not try a can of frozen apple juice concentrate? I haven't tried this method yet, but I'll be trying it very soon for some of my current batches, and a lot of cidermakers swear by this method. It should add a lot of fresh flavor as well as sweetness, both of which are usually needed because cider ferments so dry and needs a little sweetness to balance it out. So this might be perfect for your apple wine. Just be sure to stablize with sorbate and/or sulfite to prevent refermentation in the bottles -- you don't want to end up with bottle bombs -- and add enough to taste without going overboard. You'll have to play around to see how much concentrate is needed. My guess is a can or two for 5 gallons, somewhere in there.

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out for you.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby ol'timer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:43 am

Yes wine was made from store apple Juice 100% so the jug said.Yes I will try back sweeting the wine.I have always stabilized my wine before bottling.I will try to increase the flavor after I stabilize.I will let you know how it turns out.Thanks,DM Taylor.
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Apple wine Question.

Postby Brambles » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 am

Mine doesnt start tasting like it should till about 7 months.
Brambles
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby ol'timer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 am

The reading on my Hydr. is 1.010 SG,but the hydr. goes straight to the bottom and only raises about a 1/4 in off the bottom when testing.this apple wine has been racked twice.should I do as was said stabilize ,wait 48 hrs. back sweeten,wait 10 days and bottle.I am new to this kind of wine making,I have been making wine for years the way my Grandfather taught me,it comes out fine ,but thought i would try to be better at it with all the new ways of doing it.
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby thetooth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 am

Brambles wrote:Mine doesnt start tasting like it should till about 7 months.

Time will help your wine immensely. Let it age for at least 6 months before bottling, then taste it and decide if you think you want it sweeter.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby ol'timer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 am

thats what I will do,let it age longer.Thanks
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby ol'timer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm

ol'timer wrote:thats what I will do,let it age longer.Thanks

well i rack the apple wine today,it was very clear,i tasted it ,the alcohol is very strong,but has a better flavor than before .so i will let it sit longer.
ol'timer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related