First time-Wine making

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

First time-Wine making

Postby Vandi92404 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi, first-time-winemaker, we are on our 3rd day of fermentation and the foam is foaming over the top! Is that normal? We are using fruit must of strawberries & blueberries using standard 8 gal. fermenter bucket covered w/cloth. We started with 6 gallons, w/fruit, sugar and water. We used Go-ferm protect and Red Star Cote des Blancs wine yeast. Should we stir often more than twice a day?? Any advice would be great!
Vandi92404
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: First time-Wine making

Postby kak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Vandi,

Your wine is probably on its way toward being done now, but I thought I'd post, for what it's worth. When you posted, it was your third day of fermentation. We make wine with grapes, so I'm not sure how the different fruit causes different results, but the third day is usually the most active time of our primary fermentation. Ours usually runs 8-10 days, depending on the grape. In the future, if it's bubbling over, try using a 10-gallon food grape container. I think they sell them on this website. We punch ours down fanatically, about five or six times a day, and take the temp. each punch down and measure the SG in the a.m and final punch down in the p.m. Most people don't punch don't punch down as much as we do, but a third punch down would probably also help. Hope your wine turned out great!
kak
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related