negative pressures in carboys

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

negative pressures in carboys

Postby samchiodo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 am

After struggling with oxidized wines for the past coupe of years, I learned of the Breathable Silicone Carboy Hood at MoreWine. I've placed the hoods on the "Better Bottles" carboys and topped off with CO2. I find the vessels developing negative pressures. I need help with "why" and what to do about it.
samchiodo
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: negative pressures in carboys

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 am

The only time I get negative pressure (vacuum) is cooling down the carboy, that will suck the fluid from airlock or blowoff bucket into it. What I do now is not to fill airlock or bucket until the temp is at my desired ferment setting, then I add the fluid. After this the Co2 is exhausting the o2.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: negative pressures in carboys

Postby BKG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

Is the wine at a constant temperature. It is true that a decrease in temperature will cause the liquid to contract resulting in negative pressures. At least with the carboy hood you are seeing negative pressures which is a plus versus sucking in water from an airlock and then oxygen after that. You mention topping off with CO2... how are you doing that?
Olin Schultz
olin@morebeer.com
----------------------------
In Beer there is strength
In Wine there is wisdom
In Water there is bacteria
BKG
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to General Wine Related