White Winemaking: Brehm frozen difficulty compared to kits

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

White Winemaking: Brehm frozen difficulty compared to kits

Postby NonHopHead » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 am

A little background here: I am an experienced beer brewer and routinely do all grain batches (so I am not afraid of complex processes). I have made some white wine kits for my wife and extended family, but would like to be able to make them different and (probably) better wines using Brehm frozen grapes. Although I personally prefer red wine, I am hoping mostly to receive comments from white wine makers here.

I have quite a lot of random equipment on hand, although it is beer oriented and wine has so-far just been a "renter" of the beer equipment. My largest fermenter is an absolutely awesome Speidel 30L fermenter that I can't imagine what I ever did without. I don't mind some purchases, but am not looking to invest thousands of dollars here. I have two broad questions:

1) How much more work is involved in using Brehm frozen grape juice, instead of white wine concentrate kits? It looks to me like the same PROCESS on my end. The key difference appears to be that I would have to buy the additives and yeast separately from the juice. Am I missing something here, or is it really that simple?

2) What equipment is necessary to use the Brehm white wine products sold by MoreFlavor, beyond that which I already have for making white wine kits? It seems like for red wine there would be a bit more to purchase (Speidel 60L, I'm looking at you!), but I see nothing that stands out with respect to white. Again, am I missing something here or is it really that simple?

If the answer to both 1 and 2 is "yes, it really is that simple," then I'm an excited little brewer. :D
NonHopHead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: White Winemaking: Brehm frozen difficulty compared to ki

Postby aldis_06 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:21 am

Nice post !
aldis_06
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related