Follow the instructions or not?

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Follow the instructions or not?

Postby cornixt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:49 am

I've decided to take the plunge and make wine for the first time. I've picked out this wine kit from my local shop and they helpfully give all the instructions. If I followed the instructions on the beers kits then I'd be making poorer beer, so is there anything I should be wary about when following these wine instructions?

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/cellar- ... -p256.aspx

I think I have all the equipment from my normal beer brewing (I plan to use cap-able sparkling apple juice bottles).
cornixt
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Follow the instructions or not?

Postby pclemon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 am

cornixt wrote:I've decided to take the plunge and make wine for the first time. I've picked out this wine kit from my local shop and they helpfully give all the instructions. If I followed the instructions on the beers kits then I'd be making poorer beer, so is there anything I should be wary about when following these wine instructions?

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/cellar- ... -p256.aspx

I think I have all the equipment from my normal beer brewing (I plan to use cap-able sparkling apple juice bottles).

The thing you might not already have is a 6 gallon carboy (for beer I always used a 6.5 gallon and a 5 gallon). There are more transfers that take place when making wine with these kids so you want to minimize your headspace once primary fermentation is done. Capable bottles may well work with a reisling that you likely won't store/age for any extended period but I would not use capped bottles with anything to be aged. Otherwise the same things come into play with wine as with beer - sanitation, temperature control, etc.

Another warning is to make sure the yeast and any other sediment has COMPLETELY settled before you rack and bottle and hold tip of the cane a little bit off the bottom of the carboy. Any sediment you carry over into the bottles will be VERY apparent when you go to open them. Less of an issue with red wines.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:31 pm

I tend to let mine go a lot longer in time than the instructions give. For example, for those kits that say "28 days", I easily let it go twice that long. I do not rush it between steps.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
tookalisten

Postby cornixt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks. I don't expect to be aging anything (at least not on purpose) and I use a 6 gallon fermenter for my beer already (plus a five for bottling, mostly). Looks like I'm all set then, should probably get started soon if it is to be ready for xmas.
cornixt
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

The two batches of wine I made I went by the instructions, plus I used the optional 4th step of racking, everything came out great, crystal clear, great tasting wine.
The instruction sheets had 35 days for the one, the other had 42 days, I went by those times.

I recommend the:
auto-siphon http://www.midwestsupplies.com/5-16-auto-siphon.html
stainless steel mixing rod

I only have the large 7.75 gal glass carboys, so I purged with Co2 for the headspace.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby soweczka » Thu May 14, 2015 3:50 pm

instructions aren't needed for winemaking. Especially with your wine kit.
soweczka
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby serwusek » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:40 am

first time it's ok to follow instructions. Next time it will be much easier even without it ;)
serwusek
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related