Wine wont Ferment?

General wine making discussion. If it isn't about wine, scroll down and put it in the Off Topic Stuff category below.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wine wont Ferment?

Postby lizcrump22 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I had Cabernet Sauv grapes picked at an average of 23 brix. Crushed and destemmed, allowing them to ferment in natural yeast. Nothing happened. I used two different hydrometers and specific gravity hovering just about 0, no alcohol % registered. Tried adding yeast, nothing again. Tried to add yeast yet again thinking my batch of yeast was bad. Now they are in car boys, oxygen lock on, nothing happening. what could be wrong? temperature is at about 70 desgress. any help much appreciated.!
lizcrump22
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Wine wont Ferment?

Postby pclemon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 am

You didn't give any kind of a timeline on when you did all of this and how long you waited in between?
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 am

if you were relying on the wild yeast in the air to start the fermentation it may take some time for you to see any signs.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby dmtaylor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 am

Did you use Campden or sulfite? Maybe you killed most of whatever wild yeast was in there. Or maybe there just wasn't much on these grapes for whatever reason.

Is fermentation complete? Have you tasted the wine? Does it taste like fresh juice, or like 12% alcohol? I realize these are very basic questions, but they are extremely important ones if you want us to help you.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Aliraza47 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 am

There are more transfers that take place when making wine with these kids so you want to minimize your headspace once primary fermentation is done. Capable bottles may well work with a reisling that you likely won't store/age for any extended period but I would not use capped bottles with anything to be aged. Otherwise the same things come into play with wine as with beer - sanitation, temperature control, etc.????
Aliraza47
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby borowik » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 pm

maybe need some time?
borowik
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby serwusek » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:43 am

try make some new yeast in other flask :)
serwusek
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to General Wine Related