crabapple cider

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

crabapple cider

Postby joechinon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:10 pm

I've posted this in a couple of other boards, but I need some help. Y'all helped me figure out why my apples are so tiny, but still tasty
I apparently bought a crab apple tree several years ago, it was allegedly a Grannysmith. Anyway it has about a bushel of very tasty one inch diameter apples. My dogs used to eat them, now a pair of wild turkeys have moved in and are eating them, but my wife has been competing with the turlkeys this year. She wants me to make a cider with them but I don't have a press or access to one. How can I use them to make cider?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
On Tap:Flanders Red, Porter,Belgian Ball Buster,ESB,Sticke Alt,Rye Pale,Apple Rauchbier,Saison
Primary:BoneDry
Lagering/conditioning: Apple Rauchbier,,Vanilla Bourbon Porter,Brett saison,Pecan Rauchbier
Bottled:Crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Prickly Pear Mead,Black Braggot,Sour Pumpkin
On deck:Wheat IPA
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:51 am

I've seen & used a homemade apple grinder that was made from an old garbage disposal (Cleaned & sanitized, of course). I've also seen & used a press made from 1/2" thick plastic discs, a modified keg, and a small hydraulic bottle jack. All that takes a fair amount of work to assemble & test, though. How about getting a used kitchen juicer from your local Goodwill? It'll take a while, but it'll be cheap & very doable.

About the crabs: you can make cider from them, but it would likely be best to mix their juice with a sweet variety. The best ciders have a combination of tannins, acidity, and sweetness that you generally can't get from just one apple.

Scott
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Albionwood » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Lots of times a tree is mislabeled. Sometimes the grafted cultivar dies and the rootstock sends up suckers; if these grow to maturity they will most liekly produce crabapples.

For small lots like this your best bet is a kitchen juicer. Find someone locally who has one you can borrow.

Fermented crabapple juice is usually too acidic and tannic to be very good, but is wonderful in blends. Unfermented crabapple juice can be incredibly good - I freeze all of mine so I can enjoy that stuff all year.
On tap: Cider (2012 batch #3)
Recently emptied: Uppity B*tch, Hawkeye
Primary: Frank Ellis IPA
Secondary: last of 2012 ciders

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler." A. Einstein
Albionwood
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby joechinon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 am

I used my meat grinder and then squeezed the pulp thru a kitchen towel to get a gallon of juice, and I mixed that with juice from 2 varieties from my neighbor's trees, and 3 gallons of store bought. It came out drier than my wife wanted but it's bottled and I'll wait a while to see how it turns out.
On Tap:Flanders Red, Porter,Belgian Ball Buster,ESB,Sticke Alt,Rye Pale,Apple Rauchbier,Saison
Lagering/conditioning: Apple Rauchbier,,Vanilla Bourbon Porter,Brett saison,Pecan Rauchbier
Bottled:Crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Prickly Pear Mead,Black Braggot,Sour Pumpkin
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Albionwood » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 am

That's doing it the hard way, but it beats letting those apples rot (or be eaten by turkeys). Cider is always drier than expected - somehow we have all been conditioned to believe cider should be sweet - but let it mellow for a few months and you might be surprised how much better it tastes. Around September you should notice an improvement.

Albionwood
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby joechinon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Well, my crabapple cider has been in the bottle a month. At 2 weeks I tasted a little and it was really pretty awful. I was trying to find a way to explain to my wife that all that effort was probably wasted. Tonight I chilled a bottle and opened it and damn, that stuff is great. She and her niece loved it though my wife complained the carbonation was a little weak.
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Albionwood » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Don't drink it all too quickly - you will be amazed at the improvement after six to nine months.

Albionwood
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:43 am

Albionwood wrote:Don't drink it all too quickly - you will be amazed at the improvement after six to nine months.

I absolutely agree, but I would go even further. Leave all that you have age for 6 months (Minimum) before you get into it. If you have the patience, you'll be rewarded.

Scott
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby joechinon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:26 am

I've got a batch I made from Walmart apple juice. I'm going to keg it tonight, that'll keep the wife out of the bottled stuff for a while. And she can't reach the shelf the bottles are on so they are safe.
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Cider