Bottling Cider like Champagne

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bottling Cider like Champagne

Postby Rails » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:48 pm

I have 10 gallons of cider fermented out form 1.062 OG to 1.000 FG. After tasting it I think it would be perfect at champagne carbonation levels of 3.5 volumes or a bit more. I'm even thinking of using champagne bottles. That should be around 7 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons. Here's the questions... How high should I go on the C02 volumes and still be safe? Are my calculations on adding corn sugar correct? If not, your suggestions? I noticed the Maltose Falcons disgorged there beer champagne (looks like a lot of work), is it worth it to get rid of the yeast sediment http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode_champenoise/? Will the sediment really affect the cider that much?
Drink Beer, Live Longer
Fermenting: English (Yeast) Cider, Cotes de Blanc (Yeast) Cider
Bottled: Saison, Apricot Ale, Oak Ale, Belgian Pale Ale
Drinking: Oak Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Saison, Belgian Pale Ale
Rails
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby akueck » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:39 pm

My handy dandy priming calculator of choice also gives 7oz of corn sugar as the proper priming level (assuming 65 F and it's not degassed yet).

I would suggest you only use sparkling wine bottles for this, the really nice thick heavy ones with the punt on the bottom. These you can be sure will take the pressure, I'd be slightly worried about anything else (though I've gone to 3.2 volumes in beer bottles myself). I think that true Champagnes sit at more like 5 or 6 volumes of CO2 (it's like 6 atm, can't remember if I subtract one to get volumes or not), but personally I wouldn't go that far. With the big thick glass bottles, 4 should be safe.

I've sparkled several ciders in the past. I don't do the disgorgement (it's either a lot of work or a big mess or both). If you let the bottle sit upright and undisturbed in the frige for several days before drinking it, and pour the whole bottle out in one motion (rather than tip it back and forth a lot), the yeast as the bottom won't bother you--stop pouring a bit early like you would with a bottle conditioned beer.

Good luck.
akueck
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Albionwood » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:20 pm

I've disgorged, it's a fair bit of work but kind of fun in small batches. The sediment in bottle-conditioned cider tends to be very fine, easily stirred up, and tastes nasty. With a still cider you can simply pour off carefully all at once, like you do with homebrew, and get pretty clear cider. But with champagne carbonation levels the yeast will rise as soon as the bubbles form, so there is no way to avoid stirring it up. Disgorging is really the only way I know of to get a really clear bottle-conditioned champagne cider.
On tap: Cider (2013 batch #7)
Recently emptied: Smoke & Fire
Primary: empty
Secondary: Belgian strong pale

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler." A. Einstein
Albionwood
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re: Bottling Cider like Champagne

Postby pisoury » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 am

Can you cover a pink champagne cake with fondant? I want to make a pink champagne cake (it sounds cool) and I wanted to use fondant as the frosting, but will the fondant be too heavy for the cake? I'm inexperienced when it comes to cakes but I'm not half bad at making them. I'm trying to make a cool creative cake so I was just curious. And does anyone have a recipe for a fresh cut strawberry cool whip recipe for the filling between layers?

Return to Cider