WLP720 In a Cider

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WLP720 In a Cider

Postby bewm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

I picked up a vial of WLP720 the other day and would like to make a cider with it. My wife doesn't really like the first/last one I made (using dry champagne yeast), and this strain looked interesting, so I'd like to design a new recipe around it. My last one was the simple 5g juice / 2lb sugar recipe posted by SMITHENHALS. I like it, but she doesn't.

I found somebody over on homebrewtalk who made basically the same recipe with this yeast and said it turned out good. Does anybody else here have any other recipes that would go well with this yeast?

Also, this time around I was going to test it every few days and drop in a campden tablet when it reaches the sweetness level she likes, then keg it. Anything else I should know when doing that?

Thanks!
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Re: WLP720 In a Cider

Postby bewm » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 pm

If anybody cares, just made this recipe last night. 5g of juice, 2lb 3oz of sugar, about a 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient, and WLP720. This took off a LOT faster than my last one (with dry champagne yeast), and is even forming a bit of a "krausen" head up the neck of the carboy.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 am

People care, but they just don't have much to add. I doubt many of us have tried WLP720 in a cider. I, for one, will be interested to see how you like it and how it compares to other yeast varieties in cider.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby bewm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 am

fossilsrocks wrote:People care, but they just don't have much to add. I doubt many of us have tried WLP720 in a cider. I, for one, will be interested to see how you like it and how it compares to other yeast varieties in cider.

I know, if there were 37 views the obviously somebody cares :). All I can say so far is that the blowoff friggin' stinks, much much worse than the last time with dry yeast, but that's not saying much.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 am

Sulfur is a common airlock scent when fermenting ciders; don't let that worry you.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby bewm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 am

fossilsrocks wrote:Sulfur is a common airlock scent when fermenting ciders; don't let that worry you.

Yeah, I've read that... it just smells distinctively different than my last one, which I like.. except that my wife walked past the room it's fermenting in this morning and said "dude, you need to take a crap!"
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Dmac08 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:21 am

bewm wrote:
fossilsrocks wrote:Sulfur is a common airlock scent when fermenting ciders; don't let that worry you.

Yeah, I've read that... it just smells distinctively different than my last one, which I like.. except that my wife walked past the room it's fermenting in this morning and said "dude, you need to take a crap!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: Amber Ale, Black Butte Porter Clone
Lagering: Oktoberfest, Munich Helles
On Deck:Stone Levitation Clone
Dmac08
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Cubfan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I used WL720 once. Unfortunately I had to dump it. I dont know if it was infected or what, it just tasted like sh*t. I do remember it being very stinky.

Sorry Im not of much help.
Cubfan
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby thetooth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:03 pm

I use this one for my ciders and I'm happy with the results:

WLP775 English Cider Yeast:
Classic cider yeast. Ferments dry, but retains flavor from apples. Sulfur is produced during fermentation, but will disappear in first two weeks of aging. Can also be used for wine and high gravity beers.
Attenuation: >80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High
thetooth

Postby bewm » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I actually just kegged this batch last Sunday, it's carbonating and aging. So far it's better than the one I made with the dry champagne yeast, will update this thread once I've had a chance to give it a full taste.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Return to Cider