apfelwein experiment

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

apfelwein experiment

Postby dirty_d » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:06 am

i stumbled upon this recipie( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-l ... ein-14860/ ) yesterday so i decided to try a small batch. I bought a gallon of 100% apple juice from concentrate, added half a pound of corn sugar, and pitched some two year old S-04 ale yeast, the recipie called for montrachet wine yeast, but ill see how this turns out. fermentation started within an hour and its going good now. Ive never had apfelwein, im really curious to see how this turns out. anyone think the ale yeast will cause any problems?

dirty_d
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: apfelwein experiment

Postby Dmac08 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:16 am

That yeast is no where near as attentive as the wine yeat. I made 5 gallosn of this and it finished @ 1.000. You will have a lot of residual sweetness. Doesn't mean it won't taste good. It just won't be the same as using the wine yeast. Keep us posted.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: Amber Ale, Black Butte Porter Clone
Lagering: Oktoberfest, Munich Helles
On Deck:Stone Levitation Clone
Dmac08
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:49 am

That won't be an apfelwein, more like a sweet cider. Wine yeast is a necessity for the attenuation that will produce the crisp and very dry character of apfelwein.
On Tap- Pumpkin Spice Ale, Kristie's Very Merry Cherry, India Red Ale, Southern English Brown, Joes Ancient Orange Mead
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am

Dmac08 wrote: Keep us posted.

+1
On Tap- Pumpkin Spice Ale, Kristie's Very Merry Cherry, India Red Ale, Southern English Brown, Joes Ancient Orange Mead
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby dirty_d » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:11 am

oh well thats good, i would have prefered it to be a little sweeter. since im using ale yeast will this take less time to be drinkable and taste good? for the apfelwein it said one month.
dirty_d
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:48 am

Cider fermented with wine yeast (and usually lots of sugar) typically has a high ABV%, thus taking 6 months or more of aging to mellow the alcohol before it gets really good. Using ale yeast, your cider will have a lower ABV% with some residual sweetness to mask off flavors, so it may taste better faster.
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby dirty_d » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm

i put one of the two secondary bottles i used into the fridge today and tried some, i dunno what its supposed to taste like since i dont think ive ever had any hard cider, but its pretty good, lol. not too sweet not too dry.
dirty_d
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Liquid Bread » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 pm

I call shenanigans to all of you that think this won't end up fermenting as dry as a bone. I've used all sorts of beer yeast to make cider and every one ended up as dry as a Chardonnay. The last batch ended up at 94% attenuation using WLP023.

I've also found that cider seems to take a minimum of about 3 months in the bottle before it tastes good. Prior to that it's a little harsh. After that, it's dry, tart, and dangererously drinkable for the alcohol level.
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie
Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Cider