Another First-Timer - Advice Please

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Another First-Timer - Advice Please

Postby TimmyR » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:33 pm

I am first-time cider maker and intermediate homebrewer....I am seeking some advice re: batches 3-5 of my recent cider experiment.

Update:
Batches 1 & 2 (WLP775 & Red Star Coite de Blanc; OG 1.042; pasteurized cider) fermented out to about 1.001 and taste dry and tart. Those were racked to CO2 purged secondaries and are sitting in my basement at about 65F.

Batches 3-5 (each 2-gallons; unpasteurized; OG 1.053) are sitting at 55F. I pitched WLP300 and WLP775 (along with 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient) each into a 2-gallon batch of cider I had treated 24-hours prior with sodium metabisulfite according to Andrew Lea's instructions. Today is day 5 and there is still no apparent activity. Batch #5 I half-dosed with sodium metabisulifte and intended to let go naturally (again in accordance with Andrew Lea's instructions.)

When should I start to worry about batches 3-5? Is it common to have such a slow fermentation that there is no visible activity?
Cheers,
Timmy

Tell me where do we go from here?
Think I'll ride into Leadville and have a few beers
- JB

On Tap:
Chipotle Porter
Belgian Abbey
American Brown
New England Cider

Waiting On:
APA
Rye PA
Rum-Oaked Porter (arrrrgh)
TimmyR
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Another First-Timer - Advice Please

Postby thetooth » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:58 am

Have you taken a gravity reading? With the temp that low, fermentation may be slow or it may have stalled altogether.

I'd:
1. Take a gravity reading. If it's still dropping, rdwhahb.
2. If gravity is unchanged, I'd roust the yeast and warm them up a bit.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Cider