Cider too young?

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cider too young?

Postby fishy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Right around thanksgiving time my cider fermented and then I put it in the keg. I tryed it yesterday and it smelled right it was just really tart.

Does this need some yeast killing and back sweeting or does it just need to sit. I carbonated it and put it in the fridge. If it needs to sit should I take it out of the fridge?

--Brian
fishy
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re: Cider too young?

Postby thetooth » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm

If you just want it to not be so tart, let it sit. It will mellow out and tasty apple aroma and flavor will return. If you are looking for a sweet "apple juice" type of hard cider you will need to back-sweeten.

When I tried to make my first cider, I didn't realize this. A month after it was done and bottled up, we tried it and it was awful. Hot alcohol mixed with some apple flavor. Really hot. We chucked it. At that time, though, I was putting away a 6-pack of everything I made to see what it would be like 6 months later. I forgot the horrible cider was in that box in the back of the closet. One day we ran into it while cleaning said closet (about 6 months later) and I decided to try one anyway. Hell... it was good! I felt so stupid for chucking the rest of the batch. :oops:

Now I keg, but the process is the same. I rack it into the keg, then throw the keg in my cellar (about 56 degrees) for 6 months. It comes out great at that point!
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby hotrod38 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Give it time. A cider that was fermented in Oct/Nov... needs time to age. I wouldn't try it until June, or later.
MY ZIPPER SEEMS TO BE STICKING. CAN YOU HELP.

Pimary...On tap...Saison...Raspberry Cider...Rye IPA..N.G. Altbier.
On deck...Maibock ...Conditioning...Belgian Tripel
hotrod38
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 pm

hotrod38 wrote:Give it time. A cider that was fermented in Oct/Nov... needs time to age. I wouldn't try it until June, or later.

+1
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby fishy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 pm

OK, sounds like I need to sit on it till the summer. I have got room in teh fridge, so i'll just keep it in there.
fishy
6 Pack (200 posts)

Return to Cider