Cider Fermentation Temp

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cider Fermentation Temp

Postby poppo187 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:56 am

Football season having arrived, I need some room in my fermentation freezer. I'm currently fermenting a few things at 67. My basement hangs our this time of year anywhere between 64 and 70. Any reason I shouldn't pull a 5 gallon carboy of cider out of my freezer and just stick it in the basement? I'm way too anal with my beer to be comfortable with that much variability, but I have no idea whether cider, fermenting with champagne yeast, would be OK with this kind of variability. Thoughts/comments much appreciated.
poppo187
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Cider Fermentation Temp

Postby fossilsrocks » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 am

Should be fine. Actually, your beer would be, too.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby thetooth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 am

I think you'd be fine in that range.
thetooth

Postby poppo187 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks, guys. Good to know. And yeah, I'd probably be fine with leaving my beer out as well, but weird stuff happens in my basement sometimes and I'm not willing to risk it. This first batch of cider's a lark and if it turns out well, great. If something goes wrong with a batch of beer I have to hear all kinds of crap from my friends. Ridiculous since they'll gladly pay for Coors Light but feel free to give brutally honest critiques of my beer that they're getting for free, but there it is.
poppo187
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby thetooth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm

If this is your first attempt at cider, remember to give it some time in the bottle/keg before you really judge it. I usually leave mine in the keg for 3 - 6 months before drinking.
thetooth

Postby fossilsrocks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:02 am

The only issue I see is if there is a lot of fluctuation. If the temp is high, and it lowers quickly, it'll create a suction in the fermenter. That could draw stuff you don't want into the fermenter. I use my basement all of the time & don't have problems, but it is pretty consistent. Keeping the fermenter in contact with the floor seems to help regulate the temperature (Tile to glass for good heat transfer).
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby thetooth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 am

True, but he's only talking about a 6 degree fluctuation. Anyone with a non-digital temp control on their fermentation fridge/freezer has a 4 degree swing (2 degrees each direction) already, so it's not much different than that.
thetooth

Return to Cider