Cider WAY too dry how much too back sweeten

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cider WAY too dry how much too back sweeten

Postby oldwort » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Help! My cider finished off at about 13% and WAY too dry for my taste. Much to my chagrin, I listened to my brew store owner and pitched two packs of Red Star champagne yeast into six gallons of juice, needless to say it fermented fast and completely. :oops: F.G was .0992, I started at 1.085. Can I back sweeten with apple juice concentrate and rely on the sugar to carbonate in the bottle or is it too much? I only plan on bottling a 6 pack of 22s and keg the rest. It has been about 7 years since my last cider batch, it was excellent, finished off at 9% with tons of flavor without aging. I started with the same O.G. 1.085 but only used one pack of yeast in that batch. If this has been addressed just steer me the right way. Thanks

oldwort
oldwort
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Cider WAY too dry how much too back sweeten

Postby hotrod38 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

You can back sweeten it with apple juice to your taste. You'll have to add potassium sorbate first. This will kill off any remaining yeast so that it won't ferment the juice your going to add.
MY ZIPPER SEEMS TO BE STICKING. CAN YOU HELP.

Pimary...On tap...Saison...Raspberry Cider...Rye IPA..N.G. Altbier.
On deck...Maibock ...Conditioning...Belgian Tripel
hotrod38
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby oldwort » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:52 pm

hotrod38 wrote:You can back sweeten it with apple juice to your taste. You'll have to add potassium sorbate first. This will kill off any remaining yeast so that it won't ferment the juice your going to add.

What about bottle conditioning? Is there any way to sweeten and carbonate in the bottle without making 22oz. cider bombs? I am thinking I might just have to prime the bottles and let it age as it is right now and hope for the best. Thanks for the response.
oldwort
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby hotrod38 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 am

I would just let it age. 6 month, a year and even longer.
MY ZIPPER SEEMS TO BE STICKING. CAN YOU HELP.

Pimary...On tap...Saison...Raspberry Cider...Rye IPA..N.G. Altbier.
On deck...Maibock ...Conditioning...Belgian Tripel
hotrod38
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Liquid Bread » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:08 am

How did you get the starting gravity so high? Extra sugar? My ciders usually start out around 1055.

Next time don't use champagne yeast. I've been pretty happy using WLP023 as of late.

Anyway, there's no good way to backsweeten AND bottle condition the cider. I say you just bottle it and forget about it for a year or two. In the mean time, make a new batch.

On the other hand, I hear fake sugar, like Splenda, might work. I suppose you could also try lactose as yeast doesn't eat that either.
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie
Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)

Postby oldwort » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks guys, lesson learned. I did raise the gravity by adding sugar. I was trying to replicate what I did last time but that was 7 years and too many pints ago it was all a little hazy even with the notes I had taken notes last time.
Thanks again.
oldwort
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Cider