How much cider yeast?

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How much cider yeast?

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 am

I figured since it's apple season and the family is going apple picking soon, maybe I'd try to make some cider. My questions is how much yeast to use per gallon of juice?
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: How much cider yeast?

Postby Brewtime » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am

Mattheus_Rex wrote:I figured since it's apple season and the family is going apple picking soon, maybe I'd try to make some cider. My questions is how much yeast to use per gallon of juice?

Depends on the SG I would think on packet of dry or a vile of liquid would be enough
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby dmtaylor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:40 pm

One pack for 3-5 gallons works fine. Same as you would for beer. Actually, with cider you don't need to pitch yeast at all. You can leave it sitting at room temperature and it will ferment all by itself. But if you want to control the yeast that does the fermentation... then yeah. A pack will do.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:26 am

dmtaylor wrote:One pack for 3-5 gallons works fine. Same as you would for beer. Actually, with cider you don't need to pitch yeast at all. You can leave it sitting at room temperature and it will ferment all by itself. But if you want to control the yeast that does the fermentation... then yeah. A pack will do.

And good luck replicating a cider that came out fantastic with wild yeast.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Cider