Bay Area source for fresh press?

Cider is feremented fruit juice, such as apples and pears.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bay Area source for fresh press?

Postby darrenc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 am

Been trying to locate a source for unpasteurized bulk cider, for the purpose of fermenting. Coming up short, with just a standard web search. Does anyone have recommendations? Is it reasonable to expect a bulk rate at 12~15 gals? Or, maybe the right question is how much should I expect to pay? Just curious, hoping someone can point me to press / mill closer than Apple Hill. Or is it already too late, in the year?
darrenc
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Bay Area source for fresh press?

Postby MarinBrewer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Where are you located?
MarinBrewer
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby darrenc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 am

I am in San Francisco, however my brew partner (where we intend to setup, do actual work) is in Martinez. One thought was Davis must have some resource, but could not find anything. Closest I have found (that press on a regular basis) thus far is; Smit Ranch out in Linda (past Stockton a bit), or Twin Hill Ranch up in Sebastopol. Neither of which are terribly convenient / close, but doable I guess. Both orchards do business at local farmers markets though, and this is perhaps the way to go about it. Setting up a pick that is. Still open to ideas, if someone has tried to tackle this before?
darrenc
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby MarinBrewer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:08 pm

I picked up 12 gallons of raw unfiltered juice from a farm in Guerneville. Just brought my 2 6.5 gallon carboys and he filled them up. IIRC 7$ a gallon. Let me know if you want the contact info
MarinBrewer
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby darrenc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for the response. I was able to coordinate a pickup with Smit Ranch, at the Walnut Creek Farmer's Market. This is (pretty much) right on my way up to Martinez so will work out nicely, I think. They quoted me $6 a gal. for 15 gal. Thanks again.
darrenc
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby alewife » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:18 pm

I was in our local Whole Foods in the Bay Area over the weekend and they press fresh apple juice there every day!
On Deck: Irish Heavy, Mother Bunch's Holiday Porter, Dobby's Magic (like Mad Elf)

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink:

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MarinBrewer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:37 pm

As far as I know Whole Foods does not sell unpasteurized juice...
MarinBrewer
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby alewife » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Well, as was the case last fall at my local Whole Foods, they are AGAIN pressing fresh apples for sale by the gallon, with no preservatives or pasteurization. $19 per gallon. They press in house. This is in Lafayette, my nearest Whole Foods. Perhaps not all WF stores do the same thing. At any rate, I am seriously considering trying their juice (which is a mix of apple varieties) in a cider batch in the very near future! Will see how it works out! :)

Alewife

Update: When I went down to get my juice this week, there was none in the case. Talked with one of the produce guys and was able to have him specially order and set aside 2 gallons for me for the next morning. I arrived at 8 am to pick them up and they were fresh made and ready to go! This year, they are $14.99 a gallon.
On Deck: Irish Heavy, Mother Bunch's Holiday Porter, Dobby's Magic (like Mad Elf)

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink:

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Cider