As requested cream ale -->>Pepper recipe

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

As requested cream ale -->>Pepper recipe

Postby rplace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 am

So I brewed the base Cream Ale for my pepper beer again this weekend. Took/Tommy and Pete, expressed an interest and I am sure Nate will want to know how to brew a "real" beer :P

Please note batch size is 14G and efficiency is on the low end at 60% because I am currently making all my beers no-sparge. So be sure and adjust as necessary.

15 pounds Maris Otter
5 ponds Flaked Maze
3 pounds Munich
1 pound cane sugar

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes to let maze fully convert

16 IBUs of Liberty @ 60 minutes and 1.1 IBUs of Liberty @ 5 minutes

Wyeast 1450 Denny's Fav. Ferment at 65* for a 3-4 weeks raise the temp to 70 last week.

Now the fun part. First time around I only did 3 gallons of pepper and used one pepper each of jalapeno, Anaheim and poblano. I think the success of this lies in not going for all heat. The beer has a great vegetable/chili pepper nose and a good dose of heat on the back end finish but does not have you reaching for a glass of water. I roast the peppers over an open wood flame until the skins are dark black and peeling off. Put them in a brown paper bag and let them sit for about 15 minutes. remove the easy to flake off black charred skins but leave any of the black stuff that is not easy to remove. Cut the peppers length wise a couple of times to expose the insides. Put them in the secondary seeds, skins, pulp and all...I even left the stems on. I tasted after 5 days and was happy but let it go another two figuring it would fade in intensity over time. It has not faded so far. I think 7 days on the smoked peppers was perfect.

For this 5G batch I will go with two of each pepper.

If you do a 10G batch and split it so you have 5 with and 5 without peppers you have a nice light beer and an interesting beer with a kick and some good yeast for bigger beers.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: As requested cream ale -->>Pepper recipe

Postby pclemon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for posting. I have a cream ale on the slate about 5 batches out... I'll probably end up using US-05 for the yeast (probably not going to make much of a difference). What kind of ABV did you end up with?
Pete
pclemon

Postby rplace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 am

I wanted to build up my yeast for a baltic porter and never used this yeast before so wanted to experiment a bit. The wife is loving both the cream ale and peper so making another round of yeast building before the BPorter.

I have not been keeping much in the way of notes post brewing lately. I seem to be in a mode where I want to make different beers and not worring too much about repeatability. IIRC this started out about 1.044 and fermented down to 1.006.
rplace

Postby tookalisten » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am

This was a great beer, definitely will attempt this. Nice to have something different and unexpected
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
tookalisten

Postby usmcruz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

Maize? No need to use fancy words around us! :grin:
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles