Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer

Postby ultravista » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:02 am

I brewed a clone of Dog Fish Head's Raison D'etre. A simple malt bill with 8 ounces of raisins, fermented with WLP530. The beer fermented at 70-72F, then dropped to 42F to clear and prepare for kegging. It sat at 72f for about a week and at 42f for three weeks.

Although I cannot get taste any off-flavors, I get a sulfur smell off this month old beer. The beer tastes great but that smell right-off the pour is concerning. It seems to dissipate quick when poured.

Any ideas what may have caused this and is there anything I can do?
ultravista
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer

Postby KTbrew » Mon May 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Interesting. Sulfur is usually more common in lagers. I have gotten it from w-yeast’s European ale yeas before though. Are you sure fermentation was complete? Did you keg or bottle?

One other thought is this. I have experimented with raisins quite a bit. I never got what I considered favorable results. I found that they can be unpredictable and create off flavors even when added to hot wart or treated with heat to kill wild yeast.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby hwasone » Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 pm

DMS?
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed May 14, 2014 6:35 am

hwasone wrote:DMS?

DMS is more of that movie popcorn butter smell, taste and slickness
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby hwasone » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Brewtime wrote:
hwasone wrote:DMS?

DMS is more of that movie popcorn butter smell, taste and slickness

i think you're thinking of diacetyl. DMS is dimethyl sulfide, which ranges from cabbage to cooked corn, to less-than-fresh fish... but either way, now that i think about it, ultravista probably meant egg fart sulfur (hydrogen sulfide).

OP, dumb question... only in this beer, or do you get the sulfur other times, too?

Another possibility is the yeast... White labs has an FAQ in the WLP530 description:
I was wondering if your Belgian Abbey Yeast has been known to produce sulfur?

Thank you for your inquiry. Different yeast strains produce varying amounts of flavor compounds, sulfur being one of many. The WLP530 Abbey yeast does not typically produce noticeable amounts of sulfur.

"...typically..." and the fact that there's an FAQ about this leads me to suspect it might be your yeast pitch and fermentation quality.
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Fermentation